Developer

ArduCopter-3.2 beta testing

Warning #1: PX4/Pixhawk users upgrading from AC3.1.5 (or earlier) may need to re-do their compass and accelerometer calibration because AC3.2 also uses the backup compass and accels.  Pre-arm checks have been added to ensure this has been done.

Warning #2: on the APM2.x the logs must be downloaded using MAVlink instead of the terminal.

AC3.2-rc14 is now available for BetaTesters through the mission planner’s Beta Firmwares link.  The full release notes can be found in ReleaseNotes.txt and changes from -rc13 can be seen below.

Feel free to raise issues found during testing on this discussion or in the new support section in the APM Forum.

It’s a big release with “the onion” restructure and a bunch of new features (including these 57 closed items) so we need to re-test almost everything including all flight modes, all mission commands and all the new features.  Marco and I will be maintaining (and adding to) this testing list.  Issues reported will first be checked by Jonathan, Marco and I and then confirmed bugs/issues will be put on the github issues list (and then hopefully fixed).

Thanks especially to the beta testers who put their copters at risk testing each release.  Enjoy!

Changes from 3.2-rc13
1) Safety Features:
     a) fail to arm if second gyro calibration fails (can be disabled with ARMING_CHECK)
2) Bug fixes:
    a) DCM-check to require one continuous second of bad heading before triggering LAND
    b) I2C bug that could lead to Pixhawk freezing up if I2C bus is noisy
    c) reset DCM and EKF gyro bias estimates after gyro calibration (DCM heading could drift after takeoff due to sudden change in gyro values)
    d) use primary GPS for LED status (instead of always using first GPS)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Not sure..

Pixhawk and v3.2 with EKF on, testing on a quad. Stabilize, Alt hold, Loiter and RTL are almost perfect.

As soon as Pos hold is engaged, the quad goes east direction like if on a mission..?  

So in short even auto land is virtually perfect.. Just very strange behavior in position hold.

Any ideas welcome.

Thank you in advance.

• Could you please post a log.

•  CRASH 3.2 3DR Y6B.

My Y6B flipped and crashed today in PosHold mode.  It was flying quite well in Stabilise and AltHold so I thought I would try PosHold.  About 30 sec into the flight it suddenly flipped and crashed.  Some minor damage, two broken props, GPS mast and the top plate standoffs.

I do not think that the left front motors dropped but it wuld appear that the output to motors 5 and 6 suddenly climbed on the logs and the Y6 rolled over to the left, landing on its head!

Any ideas or confirmation of what the problem was would be greatly appreciated.

I have been flying 3.2 beta for a while on my 250 quad and have just upgraded the Y6B with limited testing but successful flights up to now.

I do not think this is a software issue but I did see a similar post with a flip over in GPS assisted modes and thought that the brains trust here should have a look and see if there is anything to be concerned about.

2014-11-28 Y6B Flip POSHOLD12-24-12.bin

• Alex,

from your log, the roll starts decreasing (negative value) from line 7500. That means the copter goes left.

And, immediatelly, the motor's output 1 and 3 decrease, the motor 6 increases. If your hardware configuration is the new Y6B (left), that means the controller tries co compensate that left roll by decreasing the trust on the right side and increasing on the left... with no effect

So I think that could be a motor 6 or 5 failure, or maybe an esc desync.

APM_2_5_MOTORS_Y6A_Y6B.jpgAnyways, the des_Roll remains correct so I think you're right when you say it's not a software issue.

• Thanks, I was thinking that was the issue and I will recalibrate the ESC's and see if that helps.  Otherwise I will replace the motor 6 ESC.

I did do A LOT of testing with motors but either without props or under take off speed.  I think I will try flipping props so that I can test the ESC/Motors with will load and without being in the air.

This is where I wish I had ESC's with data feedback!!!

Thanks for you help Julien, much appreciated!!

• Could be as well a power issue.

Check your esc settings and ensure they battery_type is set as Ni-xx instead of LiPo

http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/initial-setup/esc-motor/#Notes_Tro...

• I would appreciate a second opinion from another experienced forum member.  Running 3.2RC14 on a large quad controlled by an X2.  Motors stopped mid flight while flying aggressively.  Nick spotted some Gyro saturation in the EKF data, among other discrepancies. Not convinced of just a brownout.  

Not necessarily looking for an in depth response, just additional opinions.  Had the same thing happen on a 3DR Pixhawk controller two weeks ago on a very similar setup, and same firmware.  

I have been using this stuff for quite some time now, and I can typically account for most failures.  The cause of the failure may seem rather obvious for some of our Pro log readers out there, but I am not seeing any certainties.  

10.BIN

• Hi,

Have you made sure you have a stable 5.2 volts or higher going to the board ?  I had a real hard time once trying to figure out why my copter would just "Fall" out the the sky ..after flying quite well before hand .. it turned out to be the power to the board was low.. once I replaced the 5v Bec all was working as it should, no more random dropping out of the blue ..I too, could not any evidence of a brown out , but the volts were just low enough to cause the controller to stall. 

• Running 3.2 and was doing a video range test. Ended up going to the end of radio range and when it went into failsafe the quad flipped but recovered. I cant find anything so I am asking for help.

Thanks for any help/ advise 

• Check the settings on your receiver for what happens when the radio is off. Some of them (like FrSky) have various options and may have sent a pitch or roll signal to the FC. Look at the FC log RCIN values at the time of the flip to see what it got from the receiver.

This reply was deleted.

Activity