Developer

ArduCopter-3.2 beta testing

Warning #1: PX4/Pixhawk users upgrading from AC3.1.5 (or earlier) may need to re-do their compass and accelerometer calibration because AC3.2 also uses the backup compass and accels.  Pre-arm checks have been added to ensure this has been done.

Warning #2: on the APM2.x the logs must be downloaded using MAVlink instead of the terminal.

AC3.2-rc14 is now available for BetaTesters through the mission planner’s Beta Firmwares link.  The full release notes can be found in ReleaseNotes.txt and changes from -rc13 can be seen below.

Feel free to raise issues found during testing on this discussion or in the new support section in the APM Forum.

It’s a big release with “the onion” restructure and a bunch of new features (including these 57 closed items) so we need to re-test almost everything including all flight modes, all mission commands and all the new features.  Marco and I will be maintaining (and adding to) this testing list.  Issues reported will first be checked by Jonathan, Marco and I and then confirmed bugs/issues will be put on the github issues list (and then hopefully fixed).

Thanks especially to the beta testers who put their copters at risk testing each release.  Enjoy!

Changes from 3.2-rc13
1) Safety Features:
     a) fail to arm if second gyro calibration fails (can be disabled with ARMING_CHECK)
2) Bug fixes:
    a) DCM-check to require one continuous second of bad heading before triggering LAND
    b) I2C bug that could lead to Pixhawk freezing up if I2C bus is noisy
    c) reset DCM and EKF gyro bias estimates after gyro calibration (DCM heading could drift after takeoff due to sudden change in gyro values)
    d) use primary GPS for LED status (instead of always using first GPS)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 3.2-rc11 today.  11 spline curve waypoints I think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcRwfTDU-Oc&feature=youtu.be

• Developer

tahines,

Looking good!  Thanks for testing.

By the way, we've gotten rid of most of the twitches in Auto but spline is still not perfectly smooth as it goes through waypoints especially if the waypoint speed is high (like 10m/s).  We know where the issue is (it's in the hand-over as it loads up the new waypoint)  but we won't be able to completely fix it in AC3.2.  In AC3.3 i'm sure we will be able to do completely twitchless highspeed spline tracks

• Developer

tahines,

Cool, the twitches will be gone (i think) in -rc3.

By the way, the copter tuning looks a little squishy.  AutoTuning on a Y6 can be a challenge but in any case, I think the tuning could be improved a bit.

• Developer

Re the Dual GPS, I've corrected how it's used in the top part of this discussion.  It seems it's not only logged but it also will pick the GPS with the higher satellite count.  I think it only switches to the other GPS when it's satellite count is 2 higher than the currently used GPS but I'm still double checking that detail.

• Hi Randy.

Would this include Piksi or just LEA or Neo series?

Regards

Henri

• Developer

Henri,

This applies to any two GPSs.  The Piksi library isn't in master yet, but once it's there..

• Hi,

I have skimmed through the 43 pages of comments on this topic and havent really found anyone talking about the new dual gps feature. 

I am a engineering research student working with the government of Canada trying to develop a drone for crop analysis. I want to use the dual gps feature with the u-blox gps and the swiftnav piksi because of its rtk precision.

3701765511?profile=original

I thought it would be beneficial to point some bugs I have noticed regarding the beta version I have been using for a while now. 

1. I have noticed that during a normal waypoint mission, the copter starts circling around the 3rd waypoint

3701765536?profile=original

and then  suddenly shoots up. 

3701765657?profile=original

2. I have also notices some weird things in the logs with regards to the dual gps feature. When the u-blox is plugged in the GPS port and the piksi in the SERIAL port, the logs are fine. There is a jitter in the coordinates but I think that is the sensitivity of the piksi. however when the piksi is plugged in the GPS and the u-blox in the SERIAL port, missionplanner doesn't recognize any gps and the logs show 0 altitude. 

I hope some of this information can help make the next version better.

-Rai Gohalwar

• Hi ray,

if you're looking for great GPS performances, you could have a look at the new Ublox 8 series!

for example, this one (M8N + compass): http://www.csgshop.com/product.php?id_product=173

Julien

• Hi Julien,

Thanks for your feedback and suggestion. I need the 2cm accuracy for the experiments I need to conduct. My only option is to use an RTK gps. The one you recommended has a 2m accuracy which is too vague for me. 

-Rai Gohalwar

• @Julien Dubois 

Bonjour Julien.

We wanted to try the NEO-7N-0-002 from NEO-7N but it came without antenna! so until we've got an antenna we can't see if better performance (and Pixhawk functionality) can be achieved.

Did you try NEO-M8N with Pixhawk or APM ?

Regards

Henri

This reply was deleted.

Activity