Developer

ArduCopter-3.2 beta testing

Warning #1: PX4/Pixhawk users upgrading from AC3.1.5 (or earlier) may need to re-do their compass and accelerometer calibration because AC3.2 also uses the backup compass and accels.  Pre-arm checks have been added to ensure this has been done.

Warning #2: on the APM2.x the logs must be downloaded using MAVlink instead of the terminal.

AC3.2-rc14 is now available for BetaTesters through the mission planner’s Beta Firmwares link.  The full release notes can be found in ReleaseNotes.txt and changes from -rc13 can be seen below.

Feel free to raise issues found during testing on this discussion or in the new support section in the APM Forum.

It’s a big release with “the onion” restructure and a bunch of new features (including these 57 closed items) so we need to re-test almost everything including all flight modes, all mission commands and all the new features.  Marco and I will be maintaining (and adding to) this testing list.  Issues reported will first be checked by Jonathan, Marco and I and then confirmed bugs/issues will be put on the github issues list (and then hopefully fixed).

Thanks especially to the beta testers who put their copters at risk testing each release.  Enjoy!

Changes from 3.2-rc13
1) Safety Features:
     a) fail to arm if second gyro calibration fails (can be disabled with ARMING_CHECK)
2) Bug fixes:
    a) DCM-check to require one continuous second of bad heading before triggering LAND
    b) I2C bug that could lead to Pixhawk freezing up if I2C bus is noisy
    c) reset DCM and EKF gyro bias estimates after gyro calibration (DCM heading could drift after takeoff due to sudden change in gyro values)
    d) use primary GPS for LED status (instead of always using first GPS)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• That GPS looks pretty legit. How do you hook it up? I see it comes with UART, I2C and USB.

with the 3DR compass, it uses I2C. Is the GPS port on the 3DR GPS/Compass combo UART? 

Is the accuracy on this really that much better? it says 2m. 
        whitch is about what the ublox 6 gets.

• Hi NullVoxPopuli,

The hook-up is pretty easy, it can be accessed through the swift-nav website. I believe so, the gps is using UART serial communication. 

I believe you are mistaken brother, the piksi if used as an RTK gives 2-3cm accuracy. Right now it is being used a normal gps. 

-Rai Gohalwar

• @ Raibrinder Gohalwar Did you try to connect the piksi (Serial port A) on pixhawk serial port 4/5 without the u-blox?

Would be interesting to see difference in precision in between piksi and u-blox.

I do have Piksi v2.3.1. What is the version you're trying?

Henri

• Hi Henri,

I have tried many different configurations. The one that works the best right now is piksi(port a) to serial 4/5 and u-blox to gps port. when I turn off the u-blox and just use the piksi it doesnt recognize a gps. (Maybe the gps 2 in the parameters is not supposed to work yet. According to @ Mihai)

I have 2.3.1 piksi. well two of them . I intend on using the rtk capabilities on the x8 quad.

-Rai Gohalwar

• @Raibrinder Gohalwar Thank you for answering. Did you try pixhawk serial port 3 (labelled GPS) to
          SwiFT Piksi UARTA alone? Perhaps the Pixhawk software just acknowledge Serial 3 as a valid GPS?

Let me know..

Cheers

Henri

• Hi Henri,

I did try that and other configurations with that wiring setup. With just the piksi, the screen says: BAD GPS HEALTH. the other way I tried was to make both gps1 ang gps 2 =1(auto). That gave me a 3d fix. Thirdly, I tried setting gps1=8(swiftnav protocol) and gps2=2(u-blox) and I got gps=NO GPS

Another interesting configuration I tried was gps=0(none) and gps2=2(u-blox) That also gave me NO GPS

I have found that the loiter is not very stable and the logs are misbehaving when this wiring config is used. 

Pay a visit to my other discussion relating the piksi. 

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/swiftnav-discuss/z34YTh-4Mvw

-Rai Gohalwar

• Developer

I don't think the Piksi GPS driver is in master yet but I'm sure it's on it's way because I've seen the viceo of it working with an IRIS.

• Hi Randy with Piksi .. will we get true cm level positioning? .. would this include altitude too or would we have use the onboard baro for altitude , one of main objectives for me is to fly around 500mm to 1000mm above a grape orchard without dropping and touching the vine rows and having a crash ..Like Kiwi fruit Orchards it is hard to use sonar , as the leafy canopy could not be reliable enough to bounce sonar off of , then you have the issue of at the end of the row you now have ground level , so maintaining a constant height above a leafy canopy on undulating ground is important to me .. ideas are welcome ..   cheers Reuben

• I don't think you'll get nearly the precision you're looking for, especially since you need absolute positioning, not relative. If I were you I'd look at a kinect (I heard that there is a smaller version available). Good luck!

M.

• Developer

Reuben,

I haven't flown with the Piksi myself so I really can't comment on the accuracy.  In arducopter we don't use the GPS altitude though so I wouldn't expect any change in alt-hold performance.  It's a slightly tricky problem you have there.

This reply was deleted.

Activity