Developer

Hi all! After some pid tuning, but require further adjustment, today i made the first real flight with my "heavy ArduXOcto", i open this thread for sharing my experience if someone else wants build a similar  "heavy configuration" using ArduPiloltMega 2560, IMU, GPS and Baro, etc.
I have previously tested more expensive systems like Mikrokopter and Wookong, and unfortunately i think there is still much hard work over the code for make this electronic flight like the competition, but considering the price i would say  that goes too well.
I'm still quite satisfied, even though my copter in some aggressive maneuvers tend to wobble a lot, and in the Loiter mode some circles is inevitable because I believe that the management of the accelerometers correction is not optimized or inactive.
Over the baro range i've a good altitude precision, max 20/30 cm of excursion.
This is my hardware configuration:

- APM 2560
- OilPAN IMU
- Mediatek MT3329 GPS V1.6
- XL-MaxSonar MB1200 (with active filter and "thermal mods", 4 x 10 ohm resistor around the case)
- ESC HiModel Pro 30A, in high timing mode
- Two switching BEC 6V 5A (connected to electronics through two diodes 3A, the tension output is 5.33V)
- Motor TigerMotors MT2814 710 kv (mounted with 3° inclination for increase YAV control)
- Props APC 13x6.5 "E" (X8)
- Two-Way telemetry "Mikrokopter Wi232" (890 MHz)
- Six led strip connected to APM (pins AN8<->AN13 through ULN2003), thanks to u4eake for the code
- Homebuilt frame, mixed aluminum / vetronite (by AleBS, thanks dude! :P) + homebuilt hood
- Lipo 4s2p 5000 mhA 40c
- TX Futaba T12FG
- RX Futaba R6008HS

Total weight (with 2 lipo pack): 4.3 Kg...i forgot something or not? :-)

I'm uploading the video on my youtube channel, post them soon, for now I leave you some pictures.
I enclose
the parameters used for the flight test in a soft wind, but there's one error, the real "Rate Pitch I" is set to "0".

Best...

Marco

3690903007?profile=original

3690902643?profile=original
NOW IN "X8 COAX" CONFIGURATION...

3690903058?profile=original

One of the first flight:

New video with "X8" frame and "ArduCopter V2.4"

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Developer

Today tried to fly with 4 lipo 4s 5000 mhA  (more payload) but one EPP prop is broken during an aggressive maneuvers.
    I upload video on youtube now, stay tuned... :-)
    I can't wait for APC props!!! :-/

• Marco, you're interested in my mount?  It's designed in AutoCAD, can you read those files?  If not, I can show you a screen shot.

Basically it ends up about 5" wide, and about 6" long.  The trick to making it narrow is I tucked the tilt and roll servo behind the camera, instead of on the sides.  It's only designed to accomodate 25° of roll, there is no "halo" design for roll compensation, it's simply like a teeter-totter.  That head is then designed to hang from a RobotZone servo power gearbox, like this for pan:

http://www.servocity.com/html/spg425a_standard_rotation.html

I just have to get the linkage design finalized.  It's intended to use sheet aluminum which I will have waterjet cut.  Then use some standard bearings.  Should result in 360° of pan, 25° or roll and 90° (or maybe a little more) of tilt.  It should fit any camera up to 4" wide.  But the way I'm designing it I intend to have the camera tray with a full aluminum face lens shroud to protect the camera.  Maybe even put a 37mm filter on the front of the lens shroud tube.

• Nice work, I see you use the internal bec's for servos, have you done some measurment of noise to apm from this setup

I think all connection with the esc's is a bad deal.?

• What camera did u use to take the pics of your apm and sonar???

• Developer

New video after some pid tuning for increase precision in Loiter:

https://www.youtube.com/user/erarius?feature=mhee#p/a/u/0/E_igmgInUqs

• please disregard below post! I forgot to read!

dude! how on earth did you make that hood?????

• Very nice, could you tell me how to make the cap?

• Developer

Here the link of the video, and the related tlog in attachments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkNQUiBXHos

2011-12-08 03-43-10.tlog

• Developer

Wich ESCs did you use with MK and DJI ?

Did you check the voltage you have on the APM chips ?

The AVR max VCC is 5.5V. At 16 Mhz, the safe operating voltage range is 4.5V to 5.5V at this frequency.

This reply was deleted.

Activity