ArduIMU and EM406 - Libraryfile missing?

Dear community, I'm looking for help on the following situation:

I have successfulli installed Ardupilot in my plane, using an EM406 and Thermopiles. Using Ardupilot V2.7 and Arduino 0022, it took me a few trials to get the GPS working; finally with the GPS plugged directly into the Ardupilot (not the shield!) everything worked fine. Successfully completed the test phases (Stabilize, Fly-By-Wire A and B and finally Autonomous flight, where I managed to hit fourteen out of fourteen waypoints, with excellent speed and altitude control. The turns of the plane are still a bit large in radius, so some WPs took more than one attempt to hit, but that's just a matter of final tweaking.

Already in that stage it was a nuisance, that if the EM406 hadn't been used for a week or so, it fell back into NMEA mode, and the Ardupilot would not initialize it into Binary if connected to the shield. Once we tried it without the shield, everything worked fine, and since then the GPS is connected directly to the Ardupilot, and the shield is mounted without probs. Now the EM 406 is correctly initialized and works flawlessly.

Next step is to switch from Thermopiles to IMU. I bought the V2 board, assembled it, and ran the S/W upload as per the instructions. The EM406 is directly connected to the IMU. Upon the first start (well, the EM406 hadn't been used since last weekend), the LED on the GPS module shone bright red, indicating it had defaulted back into NMEA mode. Apparently the ArduIMU was not initializing it the proper way.

I forced the GPS to initialize properly by attaching it back to the Ardupilot, and I had it into binary immediately and obtained a fix within two minutes.

Disconnected all, reconnected it to ArduIMU (still standalone), initialized ArduIMU - the EM406 stayed in binary mode (LED just glimming red), but I would not get a fix. Running the serial monitor I only get a usable printout if the serial monitor is set to 57600.

From the data it seems that the EM406 is seeing satellites and does have a fix, but the ArduIMU doesn't understand...

3690856050?profile=original

In the ArduIMU.pde I tried changing the Baud rate to 57600 with no success, the result satyed the same

looking at the code, setting the GPS_PROTOCOL to 2 in the arduimu.pde, it should load AP_GPS_406. Checking the Library, bo such file exists!

Here is the directory listing:

3690856615?profile=original

So it seems like the driver is missing!

Can someone please help me finding the right file?

Thanks from Germany!

Matias

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 3D Robotics

Matias, 

You're looking at the wrong libraries. It actually uses subclasses in the AP_GPS folder. It should be loading the AP_GPS_SIRF code when you select the EM406.

That said, I haven't tested that module and I don't think any of the dev team have one (it's an older 1HZ module, so we don't recommend it), so the SIRF code may not be working right. 

This reply was deleted.

Activity