Autotune in a big x8

Hi, in the next days i will do a autotune in a big x8 with U8 170kv at 12s, 22'' props, any suggestion for avoid a crash?
I have experience in other big x8 but not so big...
I read nearly all the 3d's about this argument, but many differents data don't help me to be sure to don't do error.

Thanks

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• One suggestion comes to mind. A bench test (minus props) where you apply sudden, big changes in throttle to make sure they don't cause sync problems with your ESCs? (Supposedly a higher risk with very low-kv motors)

I auto-tuned a large X8, but not that large (18" props).

To be honest, it was smoother and less nerve-wracking than my smaller machines. Maybe I was naive.

As you probably know, a windless day makes a big difference. I'd rather risk waiting than risk a semi-windy day.

I also tend to rehearse in my head, over and over, my exact movements if things go wrong (because we'll be panicking).

In Mission Planner, you can limit the maximum tilt angle of your machine - smaller is recommended for bigger machines - but I don't know if this is honoured during autotune. It might defeat the purpose.

Make sure your machine is stable when you centre the sticks in stabilize mode, so you can quickly pull out if something goes wrong.

Perhaps consider a somewhat higher altitude than before (?) Seems scarier, but gives you and the machine more time to react to a sudden problem (by getting the hell out of autotune and into stabilize).

Ultimately, though, you just have to take the leap.

George

• Thanks for the suggestions George

This reply was deleted.

Activity