Bad Compass Health : APM 2.6

I am completely new in this forum and i am starting with the rc electronics. i purchased a APM 2.6 and was able to successfully set up the parameters and calibrations except the compass where it shows "BAD COMPASS HEALTH". I came across to know that the APM 2.6 doesn't have a onboard compass but i wonder how the compass reading on the top of the  live flight data rotates when i rotate the APM board. 

Confusion :(

Does it calculate on the basis of some gyroscope measurments and its not the actual compass reading. Where does the rotation come from when there's no on-board compass and it shows "BAD COMPASS HEALTH".

..........................................................................................................................................................

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• You are correct, board calculates it based on gyroscope data (maybee acc also). In live flight data it's very accurate, but if you rotate it for some time, you can notice, that it's changes little over time (for example place board facing nord, rotate board for a minute, place board back, facing nord, you will notice, the heading possition will be already some degrees off nord)

• 1. did u have external compass? ( gps module )? 

2. if not, try to recalibrate the compass. i hope it might help. pick apm2.5 internal compass(since this word appear on my mission planner), then do the live calibration. i guess recalibrate in the inititial setup > compass might help u. try hard!

i face the same problem with u, which is bad compass health, but just when i plug in the gps module. i dont have any idea on how to get rid from it. still searching on how to fix it. 

best of luck mate.

• no i didn't have a gps module and i was confused !! how the direction still changes in the mission planner. But i got the information about it. that was the gyro which was causing it to rotate. but gyro doesn't have a fixed reference level so it points to 0 to the initial position it was aligned to. so it must use a compass to pick up the reference level and an acc. meter to correct axis accelerations.

so combining the 3 sensors they form the IMU (international metric unit). So they together give the correct direction. 

i am having a apm 2.6 which doesn't have a onboard mag. just that it has the acc and gyro. so connecting an external mag solves the problem of the bad compass health.

• so have u fix it? even u try to recalibrate it? how about the jumper pin? beside the gps pin, theres a row of pin which having a jumper, 3 pin set of them, it should be on the nearest of the gps.. 

or if it doesnt have, i guess u should solder them joining if not mistaken..

now i should know either u able to calibrate or not.

• i guess u have a apm 2.5 board. in 2.5 u need to de-solder it to use an external compass. thats not the case with board 2.6. this board doesn't have an onboard mag. so u just need to plug in a separate mag and things go on well. yes it calibrates dude.

• im facing bad health compass once i plug the gps module. but still, it can fly nicely, loiter&alt hold work great.. i dont know on how to fix it, and still searching for the solution..

about yours, it can fly? or u havent try yet?

• no i haven't tried it yet. my university exams are on. will try it soon. :) 

• aah, gud luck mate ^_^ check your inbox

• im using apm 2.8, im quite new to this hobby too. I dont face problem in calibrating in the initial setup. just face problem once on quad wont lift. but now it fly greatly and nicely.. any problem, i will try my best to help u mate ^_^ 

• thankx buddy .. i will keep this discussion open and should reply u whenever i face a problem.

thank a lot bud.

This reply was deleted.

Activity