Best alternative to Iris+/Solo, for mapping.

I have an Iris+ which I've been using pretty successfully for mapping.  However, it had a bit of an accident a few weeks ago & I am thinking of a replacement.  I was going to get a Solo, but 3DR tells me that I voided my Iris+ warranty by attaching a camera that was not a GoPro -_-. I don't want to spend $1000+ on a Solo setup only to instantly void the warranty by putting some of those nice MAPIR cameras underneath.

What are my alternatives?  The Phantom is too small, and I don't see any DIY kits from 3DR that have a decent flight time.  Are the DJI kits any good? Do they work with apps that can map?

I am willing to build something, but I do not know enough to buy parts individually.  Thus, I am hoping for a kit.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank-you!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hello! Has anyone done real tests of Vegetation Indices with Mapir 3 and its radiometric calibration panel?

Thank you

Eddison

cristian escudero said:

Sí, he usado los mapas NDVI, NIR y RGB con excelentes resultados

Best alternative to Iris+/Solo, for mapping.
    I have an Iris+ which I've been using pretty successfully for mapping.  However, it had a bit of an accident a few weeks ago & I am thinking of a rep…
  • Has anyone had much success using MAPIR cameras?

• I've got the NDVI one, and I am pretty happy with it.  For the price, I can't find a decent competitor.

• Yes I have used the NDVI, NIR and the RGB mapir ones with great results

• If your pixhawk and gps are ok then i suggest a tarot iron man quad frame or something similar. Next choice is motors. sunnysky V series is my suggestion or tiger motors if you want to spend more. 500 to 600kv with 14 inch APC props.

I know a kit is the easy route but there are not many kits optimal for mapping. If you are in the US you will find big quads for sale on RCGroups.com classified. I think a 700mm quad is the way to go. You are just strapping a camera on so the requirements are simple enough. The more you look into this the more you may be inclined to go the 6S battery 300kv motors and 17 inch prop route. You get much longer flight times....but make sure the esc motor combo plays nice with pixhawk.
    • Hi Marc,

Yup, I'm in the US.  I am definitely interested in longer flight times!  Could you explain a bit more what you mean about the ESC motor combo, and the PX?

• Pixhawk has been known to not play nice with some ESCs and Motors -- typically low KV pancake motors. This is not really an issue with Pixhawk but just the lack of standards in PWM control. So look for some know combos that have been verified as working. There are some threads devoted to it here.

There is a fairly soft market for bigger quads and you can often find really good deals on RCgroups classifieds. A lot of people do well with the Tarot Iron Man quad frame when it comes to endurance machines. It would be very easy to exceed the Iris performance.

• Great, thanks Marc Ill keep an eye out!

This reply was deleted.

Activity