HI,

I am new member in the X-UAV Talon club, I have just received my Talon with the extension wing.

I'm working to put the right combination of motors, prop and batteries: 

I am looking to have the maximum flight duration over 90 minutes. 

The weight of my FPV gear with all antennas, cables, cameras is around 750g.

The weight of the talon + motors + ESC + servo is around 1400g, So the total weight without the batteries is around 2150g

Regarding the battery, I can use multiple options based on motors and prop:

Multistar Battery Weights:

3S 5200 mAh is 325g. 
4S 5200 mAh is  433g.

Option1: 3S configuration 2 parallel batteries => 3S 10,400 mAh: 650g. Total flight weight 2,800g

Option 2: 6S configuration, 2 series batteries => 6S 5,200 mAh: 650g, Total flight weight 2,800g

Option 3: 4S configuration, 2 parallel battery => 4S 10,400 mAh: 866g.Total Flight weight: 3,016 g

Option 4:  3S configuration 4 parallel batteries => 3S 20,800 mAh: 1300g. Total flight weight 3,450g

Option 5:  6S configuration 2 parallel + 2 series  => 6S 10,400 mAh: 1300g.Total flight weight 3,450g.

What motors and prop should we use with every option, and what flight duration will we get?

I have those motors: but I can buy others if needed:  

Motor 1: OSMG9530  http://www.osengines.com/motors/motors/motor-specifications.pdf
OMA-3825-750
 (.30 Size)
Rotor Diameter (mm): 38
Magnet Length (mm): 25
kV: 750
Watts: 590
Weight (oz/g): 6.7 (190)

Motor 2: Jamara E-Motor Magnum A2820/6

http://www.conrad.at/ce/de/product/428816/Jamara-E-Motor-Magnum-A28...

Specifications  Revolutions / v : 1000 
Internal resistance : 59mOhm
Idle current: 2.0A
Max A: 37A / 60S
Shaft Diameter : 4.00mm
Output: 550-Watts
NiMH Battery : 8 ~ 14
LiPo Battery : 3 ~ 5
Propeller NiMH: 11x8 Propeller LiPo : 3xLiPo 11x6 / 10x7 4xLiPo
Application: 1000-2500g

Motor 3: Emax BL2826/06: http://www.toysonics.com/emax-bl2826-06-950rpm-v-outrunner-brushles...

Features

• New Emax BL2826/06 950Rpm/V Outrunner Brushless Motor

• Model: BL2826/06

• No. Of cells: 3-4 Li-Poly

• RPM/V: 950

• Max. efficiency: 86%

• Max. efficiency current: 20- 30 A (>78%)

• No load current / 10V: 2.1 A

• Current capacity 61 A/60s

• Dimensions: 30x26 mm

• Shaft diameter: 5 mm

• Weight: 182 g/6.41 oz

• Recommended model weight: 2-3.2 kg

• Recommended prop without gearbox: 13*8; 12*8

Elios

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• HI Joffrey, 

I tried all motors used by all pilots of the Talon, all are good and the I liked the Cobra one and the OS motor:3825 750w

But I use a 12" or 13". No need for more. 

My Talon flying weight is 5kg including 2 x 3S 6000 mAh. I am flying 1 hour and I am using only 5800 mAh from the 12,000. So I can easily do 90 minutes. 

• Hi Elios,

First of all, thank you for documenting and providing your results.

Did you use a folding prop on your talon? 

I think it was smart of you to stick w/ 3s since all VTX runs without stepping down voltage on 3s which is quite nice.

Did you ever make a comparison with Li-Ion batteries vs your multistar? 

• Okay, i'm going to looking for this motor
        so big but it's not expensive and it seems to not consume a lot.

• Oh thanks but, is it working with 5S ?
        Well, on my side, i see this : Emaxx BL4020 but RPM 8600 it is not too much ?

Toysonics.com - Thanks for visiting Toysonics.com
        • Well, It should work with 5S but regarding the big Emax I don't know. I feel it is so big.

• HI, 

I have a request for an extra heavy payload copter, does anyone have experience with that or can give recommendations: 

http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/building-a-heavy-load-payload-copter

• If I have the option to buy 2 x lipo 4S 10,000 mAh or 4 x Lipo 4S 5200 mAh,

Which one I should go for? and why?

• The only backside for 4 batteries is charging. If you get a balancer card you can charge more than one battery at the same time. Otherwise you can charge only one battery with a charger.

• HI,

After many ground test, we found the error. It was the Scherrer UHF 700 Pro. It was going failsafe after few minutes for no reason and it's changing randomly the failsafe configuration. 

Scherrer are working on a new firmware to fix this issue. But it was too late, we lost the first plane.

We are now with the DragonLink with new micro Rx and I can say it's a great product till now. 

Elios

• I don't understand what you're saying. It sounds like you described two different RC systems, an LRS and a 2.4 at the same time. What device could the LRS have caused interference on? The forums said to keep your Shurrer LRS Tx away from a Futaba Rx?
    Sorry if I'm being dense.
    I use DragonLink and find it very robust, especially with the latest firmware. The new micro Rx is supposed to be much more sensitive than my older ones, but nobody has tested it to the end of it range yet. I have never been past 10km due to terrain and video limits, but my RSSI was very high. Also DragonLink support is the best in the industry. If you have issues, they send you a new unit to test along side your questionable one. I am really drawn to OpenLRS for its price and flexibility, I love open source. However DragonLink works so well, I can't justify fiddling with a new system.

Sorry about your crash. Your layout looks good to me.
This reply was deleted.

Activity