[Big Talk] - To school or not to school in UAS

Greetings!

Some info about me before I go on, I am a watchmaker for about 5 years now and I've been looking to having a career change. What got me fascinated about mechanical timepiece is that I can literally see how it works and how well it made sense to me. Seeing how the power distribution from the crown winding a stem that makes contact to the wheel and then the teeth meshing together to drive the gear train, it just clicks with me. However, working for a high-end luxury service center and experiencing what a giant corporate work atmosphere feels like, it was enough for me to move on to a small start up company. From there, I greatly enjoyed the teamwork and synergistic atmosphere that each employee were able to contribute to help advance the company one step at a time. That is until the CEO decided to bring in someone "not fit" for the position, which ultimately dismantled the company. 

At the moment, my current lease will end in Feb and I've been trying to find my next thing to do in life, whether it be going back to watchmaking or move on to a advancing technology field (which is kind what Id like to do since I've been hooked on doing random maker-space classes like 3D printing and laser cutting).

Anywhoo, I've been doing some research drone repair / UAS school and found the Spartan listed in the "15 Best Drone Training Colleges" which got me to do more research. https://successfulstudent.org/15-best-drone-training-colleges/ .What made me interested in Spartan is for being back to my home state, closer to my family and friends, living affordability, and their interesting "accelerated" program to complete their Avionic Electronic Technology course in 13 months. After digging up some more information about Spartan and long story short, I've noticed a lot of negative reviews and history that Spartan has experience. I'll be touring their campus next week to get a better idea and atmosphere feeling of things there. 

So the [Big Talk] - How much can a trade school have to offer to learn about UAS in terms of developing, programming, maintenance, etc. OR can the complexity of UAS be learned through online resource such as this wonderful website here? Attached are the courses for the 13 months program and I'm wondering how necessary they are. 

I'd like to hear everyone opinion on this and i'll gladly answer any questions as well.

To school.jpg

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hey David, I hasten to tell you that the UAS Drone Program is still active in 2022, and compared to 2017, it has improved very well, multiplying the knowledge that came before, adding new drones, and generally, I can talk about it a lot because I love their activities. I was part of a similar program a few years ago, so if anyone is interested, get in touch with me at https://callmechat.com/bazoocam chat, I'd love to share my experience and hear yours!
    CallMeChat: Random Video Chat With Girls Online
    CallMeChat is a random video chat available on all mobile devices. Enjoy anonymous chat with girls from around the world via live cam for free & safe.
  • I first encountered this kind of question when I was in high school, when I liked to read and did not like studying. I did not have enough time to absorb the material and rest, so I had a poor performance in school. During university, I started to use the service with free essay samples, which significantly improved my grades and gave me more time for my hobbies and travels. I think this service will be very useful for students because the assimilation of information in today's educational system is at a low level.
  • Community college idea is really sensible.
  • College has always been very difficult, I remember that, and there were always many questions. Then I looked on the Internet, and got to the site https://samplius.com/free-essay-examples/animal-testing/ which helped with his examples to take subjects and essays. Having found these examples, it was not difficult for me to write my essay with high quality, I advise absolutely everyone!
    Free Animal Testing Essays. Best Samples of Paper Topics and Titles
    Find your Animal Testing essay sample on the largest essay base. All examples were provided by straight-A students
  • I agree with the community college idea. I think it's much better.
  • There is a community college that I reached out a few days ago and from what their aviation department told me, their "UAS Drone Program" is a few days of meeting up to teach a course to help prepare / pass the FAA part 107 test, and not so much in developing, programming, maintenance, and etc.

Just curious, but is there such thing as an average amount of months or years a UAS / Drone repair school should take to complete? I'd like to be done with my schooling days and that's why their accelerated 13 months program caught my interest, but also got me wondering if a program should be that long or short.
    Andrew Murphy said:

I think a good rule of thumb is to steer clear of for-profit schools. Are there any community colleges in the area you're thinking of moving too? It could be a cheaper alternative and the credits can be transferable to a four year program if you have any interest in computer science, engineering, or another field that could feed your interest in maker-like pursuits. 

• I think a good rule of thumb is to steer clear of for-profit schools. Are there any community colleges in the area you're thinking of moving too? It could be a cheaper alternative and the credits can be transferable to a four year program if you have any interest in computer science, engineering, or another field that could feed your interest in maker-like pursuits. 

This reply was deleted.

Activity