Bixler

Any one had any experience with the Bixler and an APM? Seems pretty popular for FPV.

Before i purchase was just wondering if there is anything i should know...

I will be getting the 6ch transmitter instead of the 4ch one so that i can use the toggle sticks to change mode, is this right?

Do i need to worry about the range of the transmitter, or can the APM2.5 fail safe be setup so that if the plane flies out of range of the 6ch transmitter it will just keep on flying and not crash?!

They are really my only concerns at the moment with the Bixler.

Thanks for any info!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Looking at a Bixler 2 now!! However i cant find a definitive combo of motor/prop that will let me carry an APM and FPV setup weight?

Anyone got any ideas.

Was thinking of the 2836 1800kv with a 7x4 prop? But i am unsure...

• The Bixler is a great aircraft. Buy some 2200mah batteries for it and get a better carbon spare, it broke on mine over water, it wasn't pretty. Other than that, really glue in the control horns and get a 30 amp ESC and 6x4 prop for it. Look at the Bix2 though, it looks awesome and flies very, very slow.

Also, I would go with a 9ch transmitter like a turnigy 9x with FRsky module. You get a better transmitter than a spektrum for half the price.

• If you are looking at the Bixler, make sure to also review the Bixler2 which has some improvements over the first model. Another possibility is the Penguin, built specifically for FPV: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&a....

A 6 channel (or higher) transmitter is desirable. With a 6 channel Futaba 6EX I get two flight modes and a toggle switch for RTL without any modifications. I wouldn't recommend 4 channels. 

• Bixler/Sky Surfer is a fine platform to start with.  What kind of transmitter did you get?  Does it have a built-in failsafe with the receiver?  APM has its own failsafes...just read carefully on how to set them up.  I think this is the latest link.  Also the new mission planner helps with failsafe setup.

APM 2.x failsafe

If it's a standard 2.4GHz transmitter, stay in close to start with, and just get the basics down.  Then start testing things on the ground before you commit to testing a failsafe in the air.  In general, you want it to RTL on failsafe.  Obviously, RTL should be tested intentionally before putting it in a failsafe scenario in the air.

Good luck!

JC

This reply was deleted.

Activity