Replies

• OK, thanks a lot. Next step is to try the system.

We have an old Fly Bar KDS-450 to start with.

I plan to setup the controller sideways (got the information on how to configure that in another thread). But for sure I will not have an external GPS/Compass. I guess the internal compass may not work properly (especially if located close to the motor). May the compass sensor be deactivated in the flight control algorithm ?

• Yes, it's now body frame.... sort of.  It's complicated. :)

End of the day, you can fly mild 3D in Acro mode.  I have lots of fun doing flips, loops, barrel rolls, hammerheads, can fly inverted, etc.  I say mild because if you keep spinning or flipping the helicopter too fast for too long, the AHRS system will get confused and lose track of heading.  Then if you try to go to Stabilize, it will be bad.

So, it's not as good as a dedicated FBL controller, even one with a bail-out function.  Their AHRS systems are very simple, so they don't get confused as easily.

Our AHRS is much more complicated, keeping track not just of attitude but also of velocity and position.  This is why it's confused easier. However, I think our system actually flies "big sky acro" better than an FBL system because of the velocity tracking.  It's very tenacious trying to hold an attitude setpoint.  It's lots of fun flying at high speed and doing big power loops, etc.  And flying in very high winds is trivial, even with a 450.  Basically, no wind stops me flying until the trees start falling over.

• Developer

Rob Lefebvre would know best but I can't imagine that tradheli acro is earth-frame.  I'm sure it's body frame.

This reply was deleted.

Activity