MR60

The purpose of this posting will be to document the building of a video capable low vibration quad with FPV/OSD that flies for 1.5 hours.

- flight path range > 15 km (2km radius)

- max speed > 30 kph (capable of handling moderate winds)

- GoPro camera/video on gimbal

- optimal designed vibration dampened electronics platform

- fits in a suitcase

- quiet (will not disturb animal life)

It will document the following in installments:

- design validation

- frame+motor mount build

- propulsion system build

- vibration optimization method, test, and analysis

- vibration dampened EP build

- electronics build

- gimbal build

- battery optimization & build

- propulsion system optimization

- flight tuning

- flight & FPV test

- video test

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• MR60

the adhesive specs look really good, better than 2216.  the key number is peel.  2216 claims 25 pounds per inch (which Boeing verified).  VM100 claims 6 KN/m, which if I did the conversions right is 34 pounds per inch.  so it might be better ... and from friends across the Het Kanaal. Work life of only 12 minutes, helps speed construction, as long as you can get things aligned and taped down in less than 5 minutes (doable).  Found any cost data?

I'll start cutting.

• MR60

It is only 4,75 British pounds...here:http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/products/structural-adhesives/vm100...

That hurts after I paid ten times this for the3M ...

I will get this one too...

• MR60

sweet!  going more into debtors prison to eventually get out!

can you test both?  maybe cut four 10 cm long carbon tubes (sand, clean both). bond them at 90 degree angles to form a T with one drop(ish) of adhesive each.  let both cure for a week or temp cure the 2216.  then using a scale, rotate the handle bar of the T so that the leg presses against the scale (try to keep the angle of the leg to the scale the same in both tests).  slowly rotate the handle until the two pieces come loose.

OMG!  just looked at the price of the applicator gun.  Only 15 pounds.

• MR60

i'll do the test. Those damned chocolate mint eaters must hide something ! We'll find out.

• MR60

Thx for your kind proposal. I do not have a CNC so I would gladly accept motor mounts. I will most probably use the tmotor 3508 or 3510 that should be a perfect match for the mounts thickness and holes alignment?

• MR60

Any comments before i start cutting?

3702832258?profile=original

- (4) Motor Mounts 37 mm

- Bolt pattern 25 mm

- Inside hole ID 10,16 mm

- (4) Tube Plugs OD 14mm 

• Thanks for your link.

Forest is it possible to have the dxf file to cut in 3 mm carbon balsa sandwich for 16/19 mm motor fixes? I am using the rctimer 2814 motors. thanks in advance

• MR60

Schaich - I recommend that one with tabs because it has more surface area. But, you many not have enough motor mast.

3702914409?profile=original

My brother, Jim, that flies over granite rock, uses a double (one on top of the tube and one on the bottom).

Motor Mount 16-19.dxf

• MR60

What will be your objective of two pixhawks (one Pixhawk will be mounted on the VDEP base and and a second Pixhawk mounted on the VDEP)? To compare vibrations on both ?

• MR60

to tune the mass of the VDEP (Vibration Dampened Electronics Platform) to the dampers, i need simultaneous reading on the frame and VDEP.  In this way, i can figure out the change in vibration at the VDEP.  the types of dampers will be swapped out, the quantities of each will be changed (3 to 6), the mass of the VDEP varied, all done at various throttle levels.  hopefully the result will be a table for how to choose the best dampers for your VDEP given the mass of the VDEP.

the Pixhawk offers the advantage of dual accelerometers running at different input rates resulting in more reliable vibration data..

once the VDEP is tuned for its mass, the second Pixhawk (the one on the VDEP) will be removed so the final build can continue.

the other approach would have been to buy a second Extech Vibration Meter.  But at over $1,000, going with a second Pixhawk seemed the more miserly approach.

This reply was deleted.

Activity