Can't get my quadcopter flying

So I'm fairly new to drones and I sort of jumped into it with little research (granted, I was a little rushed). Now, I can't get it flying and can't figure out what is wrong with it. Can somebody please help me? Maybe tell me if I'm missing or if there is something I didn't do?

Hardware

Pixhawk

-Safety switch

-Buzzer

-Telemetry

-3D compass and module

Reciever

-Turnigy 2.4 GHz 8 channel

ESC

-Hobbypower 30A

Motors

-GoolRC 1000Kv outrunner brushless

Propellers

-10" Glass fiber nylon 2-blade

Battery

-Venom 3S 1300mAh

Transmitter

-RC System: Turnigy 9XR Pro

-Module: Turnigy Dsss 2.4GHz

-Battery: Floureon 3S 1500mAh

Battery charger

-EV-Peak e4 2-4S Lipo Charger

If anyone can help me, I'd be happy to accept it. Like I said, I'm new to all this and I have almost no idea what I'm doing.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This one sounds simple, but you need to share some info:

- have you measured you battery with a multimeter to know the voltage after charging?

- when you connect the battery to the rest of the drone, does it energize. Pixhawk should be able to give alarm for low voltage is this is the case. 

- have you started your motors?

• Hi Trey,

This one sounds simple, but you need to share some info:

- have you measured you battery with a multimeter to know the voltage after charging?

• Hi Trey,

I am still worried that you might have a dead cell in your battery as that would explain the esc desync issue but if that is not the case then I am not sure. Have you plugged in all the 5v esc wires into the pixhawk? If you haven't burned anything yet i'd say cut the red wire on 3 of the escs and try. But before you do anything try with just one motor plugged in to the reciever throttle channel. If it doesn't work then don't cut anything.

For the servos you should power them from a bec (your escs have one built in). You can just plug in the ground and +5/6v on the pixhawk servo rail (those are the connectors you plug your escs in, I belive you have already done that).

http://ardupilot.org/copter/_images/Pixhawk-Inforgraphic2.jpg check this out. It can be a good start to see if you connected everything correctly, some connections may be different still but this might help I think.

Now, once you checked all that and the motors spin fine when connected to the reciever try to calibrate the escs, that might fix it.

And another question, how are you powerung the pixhawk? Are you using a power module?

• Well, Matej Miljko,

See, I bought a cheap knockoff of the charger I was supposed to get and it doesn't work right. My battery is three cells, but it only recognizes two cells. I did calibrate the accel and the compass with mission planner. The ESC's, however, are new to the drone. I had gotten an Emax 4in1, but I apparently didn't do enough research on it because it wouldn't cooperate with the Pixhawk. So, I replaced the ESC's with the Hobbypower, and I'm almost positive they aren't the problem.

The motors don't spin, but they twitch when the ESC's give off their little tones. I find it hard to explain what kind of props they are. They're just six blades. I don't think they're big enough to lift the drone, though. When the motors actually start spinning, I can flip some wires and get them rotating in the right direction.

No, I didn't follow any guides. I should have, and now that it isn't working, I feel pretty stupid not going that route.

I ordered a new charger just today, and when it gets here, maybe the battery can charge all the way and lift it high enough.

Oh, and by the way, the Pixhawk doesn't supply power to the servos, but does that mean I have to keep another battery plugged into the receiver?

Thanks in advance.

• Can you explain your problem? Do the motors spin, are the props on correct motors, have you calibrated anything, what are those props, did you follow any guides etc.

Just saying that "I can't get it flying and can't figure out what is wrong with it" is not enough.

I'd be happy to help but please, saying that the charger keeps turning off I would advise you to move the lipo in a safe area until you check that the voltages are fine.

Also, explain what you did, taking some photos can be helpful or a wiring diagram.

This reply was deleted.

Activity