Compass is 15' off = yaw?

Recently took my testbed quad up, and it crashed during autotune.

This takes the score up to Autotune:0-Ground:3

This was later traced to a battery low voltage error (at 4.02v idle???), causing a land event, which actually didn't attempt to land at all - it just veered off to the left and crashed.

However, that's not what I'm writing about. During the tests in stabilise/alt hold, I noticed the quad was slowly yawing to the right. When I got home I noticed that the compass is reading about 15' off. I also noticed one arm was angled down slightly, but can't be sure if that was in the crash or not.

This is my compass layout.

3691092114?profile=original

Can I just manually rotate the compass 15' in the opposite direction? Will that cure my yaw (and possibly my land crash) problem? I've done the compass calibration three times now, and tried declination in manual and auto, and the results are consistently 15'.

I will add some logs later.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• That steel screw attaching the Mag to the GPS is probably the source of the problem. See if you can find a fastener made from nylon, aluminum, titanium etc. Some stainless is non-magnetic but not all stainless is. Any ferrous metals near the Magnetometer (Compass) will cause it to read incorrectly.

This reply was deleted.

Activity