Difference in UAV frame from Hobby King

Hi everyone,

this is my first post in this forum, but I already spent some time reading the blogs on this site. I have a question concerning two UAV frames from Hobby King:

1. Hobby King Skywalker Fibreglass clone 

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__15236__HobbyKing_FPV_UAV_Fiber_Glass_Kit_V2_With_Flaps_.html

This one has flaps and is about 100 $.

2. Eagle fibreglass

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__15096__Eagle_Fiberglass_FPV_UAV_Grey_ARF_.html

This one is about 175 $

I tried really hard to figure out the difference between this two frames but the only difference seem to be the additional flaps and landing gear in the CHEAPER modell. This does not make sense for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thomas

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• One of the things I noticed is that the rear section where the servos mount has a molded in recess for the servo tabs. It also looks like the Horz. Stabilizer has an airfoil shape vs just being flat on the 168. 

I bought the more expensive one. I hope the "You get what you pay for" holds true.  I haven't received the model yet so....

• I learned from HK that the two frames are produced by different manufacturers. That's basically all.

• Hi again!

Many thanks for your help! I contacted HK and will let you know as soon as I get an answer!

I believe the main explanation for the price paradox is that the cheaper version is a kit, while the more expensive version is an "ARF" - almost ready to fly. So the premium cost is the assembly. There do seem to be minor differences, but I have no experience with either product (other than to have put them in my cart a half dozen times myself...) I'm not sure how much assembly you do with fiberglass, and ARF is misleading, since neither seem to come with the typical parts I associate with an ARF version... motor, servos, etc.

Let me know how yours works out, I've been considering getting one of these just to steal the wings and fix them to a foamy.

• Developer

Does HK pricing ever make any sense, No it does not... :)

As far as I know those two planes are coming from same mold so basic parts are the same. More expensive model says that it's ARF type but I am not really sure what they mean with that on this case. As it does not include any electronics and so on as both of them still require motor/etc and other parts. 

I have one of those FPV169 fiberglass planes in here but never built it yet. It seems to be really hard to build compared original EPO skywalker. This fiberglass plane is full of plywood support so placing electronics and cabling will be difficult.

Other than that, it's really nice looking plane. 

My advise is: Take the cheaper if you really want it or just order that original EPO Skywalker with 1900mm wings.

This reply was deleted.

Activity