Replies

• Hi,
    sorry if this was already asked:
    is it possible to program/debug this unit with the pic kit2 programmer?
    I already had problems with it programming other devices but I fixed them downloading the latest software version (2.61)

thanks!
  • Bill,
    When I open the MatrixNav project in MPLAB, it tells me that "libdsp-coff.a" is missing. There are many versions of "libdsp.a" in the MPLAB libraries, but I cannot find that file. Can you point me in the right direction?
    Thanks,
    Andy
  • Bill,

In rmat.c, in the function roll_pitch_drift, We noticed that you used the union of the longww struct so that you can take advantage of individual bytes or the entire number... When accumulating your integral, you use the lower byte as your omegacorrIAcc value.. Is that an estimate of error?

And just to clarify once again, these are all 2.14 numbers and NOT 1.15 ?

Thanks,

Matthew
  • Hi,

This is a great piece of electronics!
    I want to change the gyros to a slightly higher 110/deg/sec (9.1mV/°/s) to cater for faster attitude changes.
    If I want to use gyros with a higher rotation rate (less sensititvity), where are the gyro gain values in the "roll-pitch" demo code that I need to change?

Does the “roll-pitch demo” need the yaw gyro to be connected?

Does the board take the entire 5 seconds at startup to store the offset values for the sensors? Does it average the samples over the 5 seconds?

Thanks,

Matt
  • Dear Bill,
    Is it possible to use the "UAV Dev Board" as a stabilization unit (pitch & roll ) for a r/c Helicopter / HIROBO ?
    Please guide me to the relevant code / documents you have developed so that I can get familiarized with the Maths involved; I like to learn as well !
    Later, I shall also like this board to used as an IMU for the same Heli.I hope this is possible too.
    Sorry I am not knowledgeable enough but look forward to your guidance.
    Hope to hear from you.
    Sincerely,
    muhammad
    Abu Dhabi-United Arab Emirates
  • Bill,

So, i've fried the 5V regulator on the board. The board still works, but at a lower MIPS.

Do you happen to know the part number for the regulator? In the hardware schematic, I believe it is labeled as U6, and it's a small 5 pin package. It sits between the dsPIC and the the pins that begin with GND, RXI, TXO, VCC.

Thanks,

Matthew
  • Hi, I have uploaded a video. Here I ran the roll-pitch,yaw demo from Bill on my target board: http://www.diydrones.com/video/movie-0108

UFO-MAN
  • Hi all, I tested the PICkit2 and..... that worked .... Looks like my Olimex unit is "sick" in some way. Thanks for all the help so far. Now lets see if I can get the firmware down to the target.

UFO-MAN
  • Hi, I have the Sparkfun 3-axis IMU-based autopilot board and the Olimex PIC-ICD2-POCKET USB programmer and I want to test the new software written by Bill. I receive errors when trying to access / program / debug the autopilot board. I have plugged in the cable from the PIC-ICD2-POCKET into the ICSP connector on the Sparkfun 3-axis IMU-based autopilot board and the connection appears ok mechanically and visually. However the Microchip IDE (MPLAB IDE v 8.20a) responds with....:

Connecting to MPLAB ICD 2
    ...Connected
    Setting Vdd source to target
    ICDWarn0020: Invalid target device id (expected=0x101, read=0x0)

....when I try to connect to it and program or debug.

I have installed the latest USB driver for the PIC-ICD2 and I use ver. 8.20a of MPLAB IDE as well.

-It looks like the USB communication to the Olimex PIC-ICD2-POCKET is OK but that the connection from the PIC-ICD2 to the board sees some problems.

Anyone experienced the same problems? Any advice?

For your information: I tried to program the new software onto the board and after that the leds on the board didn't blink anymore like they did when the original test software that shipped with the board was installed.

UFO-MAN
  • BIll,

I'm part of a group that is also currently trying to stabilize a helicopter using your dev board.

As of now, we are using the ADC converter to convert the analog voltages from the accelerometers/gyros on the board. Looking at the roll-pitch-yaw demo, if i'm not mistaken, you're using the 16MHz HS clock, meaning that FCY = 4MHz, and looking at ADCON3, TAD = 32 * TCY = 8 microseconds, which means that we're sampling at 1/TCY = 125kHz... Is that accurate?

Furthermore, we've been collecting the first 1000 samples and averaging them to create offsets that are subtracted from each value to zero out the accelerometers and gyroscopes. In order to see what we're doing, we've been outputting everything on the serial interface using a baud rate of 19200, which, appears to be the maximum baud rate possible for our clock frequency of 4MHz. That baud rate was chosen to try to keep up with the conversion rate.

I suppose what i'm asking is, whether there's a better way to monitor our data. For every ADC interrupt, we collect samples, zero them, and dump them out on the serial. I had initially thought that these computations weren't too much overhead, but i'm not so sure about that anymore, since the output seemed to slow dramatically when i tried to output the integers coming out of the ADC as floats (double) using sprintf and snprintf. Whether this is slowed down because sprintf is slow or because we're now working with floats instead of integers I am not sure. The data we've been seeing on the serial is also pretty noisy, and we're wondering whether or not it's the conversion rate, the serial interface, or a combination of both that is contributing to this.

I apologize in advance if this is too much information at once.

Thank you very much,

Matthew Lim
    Carnegie Mellon University
    Class of 2009 (undergrad)
This reply was deleted.

Activity