Is any advantage to do myself a 3S Lipo pack with 3 of those 1 cell 2200 ($3.61 x 3 = $10.83 HobbyKing), instead of buying a battery already build ($7.89 HobbyKing)? I know people buy those 1 cell for repairing an broken cell. But I did buy 3 of those battery and I created myself a brand new battery (using the connectors from a broken one). I did notice the performance of this DIY battery is better as another one I buy from HK (same type, Turnigy, 3S, 20C), also brand new.

Is only a personal impression?

If doing myself is indeed confirmed as better performance, I would prefer to build them myself, even is little more expensive, but flying longer. I have good soldering skills and  I know how to care and handle those Lipo.

Turnigy 2200mAh 1S 20C Lipoly (Single Cell)

Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 20C Lipo Pack

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The main reason I did buy separate cells was to have my own battery configuration. And I noticed separate cells looks to be better performance comparing to a pre-build battery pack.

Now my question:
    I have those 6 Lipo cells, all the same performance (2200MAh, 20C)
    I want to obtain 12.8V with 4400MAh with those 6 cells.
    I have 2 ways to do it:
    1) (serial-paralel) Create 2 packages, each with 3 serial cells (2 packages x 3 cells), and put those 2 pachages in paralel.
    2) (paralel-serial) Connect pairs of 2 cells in paralell (3 packages x 2 cells) and then put in serial those 2 packages.

Both will give me at the end 12.8v, 2200MAh.
    Which solution is the good one? Please explain.

How is the performance better, higher watt output?

The disadvantage of making your own packs is (in this case) higher price ($10.83 vs $7.89), danger of accidently making a short circuit, buying balance taps, time and effort (to solder balance taps and wires) and buying / applying heat shrink.

My first LiPo's were single cells (you couldn't buy made-up packs then) but you had to buy special flux and solder as the metal on the tabs wouldn't take normal solder. Current LiPo's tabs solder fine.

This reply was deleted.

Activity