Dji F550 but larger

I am about to start building a hex copter of my design it will be about 36"wLooking for advice about if the parts I am about to buy would workAll alum. ArmsMotors I am thinking will be the E-Flite 25 outrunner 870KV with 60 amp ESC15"bladesNASA with GPSAnd a FPV systemI have attach a pic. of the 550 I builtVary much like the DJI F550 but largerWhat do you think will it work.....?Thanks

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Can you be more specific about the aluminum arms? are you thinking just square tubing, or??? What's your plan for the motor mounting? The ESC's; are you mounting them inside the arms, and if so how are you going to cool them? If not, what's you plan?

It's "Naza" BTW, not "Nasa". Which Naza controller are you planning on?

Do you have a sense of the all up weight?

Have you run your numbers through eCalc?

Just a few questions that come to mind...

• The arms are to be a CNC to look like the F550 but they will be 15" long not 8"

Mounting of the motors same way also just a larger hole pattern for motors

Sorry yes Naza M2 if it will work?

Weight not sure at this point I am told each arm is about 1 to 2 Lbs

I don't know about eCalc..?

ESCs under the arm same as the F550
      • Whew...potentially as much as 2 pounds per arm?? That would be almost 5 1/2 kilos on the upper end, just for arms. Then add centre plates, flight controller, cameras GPS antenna, ESC's...you would be up in the 7 kilo range for weight...That's a BIG hex! 

Is there a specific need you have for a multi that big? What about aluminum...that's a big weight penalty, and a component that will not take much in the way of a crash to render them unusable. If you've built a 550, have you looked at DJI's new 1000? those arms would be almost exactly the length you're looking for...and probably a lot less than having them machined out of aluminum.

The Naza would work...it may not be the ideal but it would work...

eCalc is an online calculator that allows you to plug in all of the parameters of a multi rotor UAV and it will tell you the optimal motor/ESC combination. Just Google eCalc...it's an indispensable tool for scratch building.

Not to say what you're proposing won't work; it may very well. Ultimately, with enough prop and the right motors you can get almost anything into the air, I guess the question I would be asking myself often would be "why?" Why aluminum? Why a meter across and not 800mm, or 1300mm for that matter? I'd want to be doing a LOT of research to determine my "needs" vs. "wants", material selections, etc.

Good luck though! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

• Bigger is better maybe lol.
          I own a security company that we do many different things and this is one other thing I am looking into and I can use it as a R&D and have fun at the same time.
          I did look on the web about eCalc that looks like it may help me thanks for that.i will be probably be spending more then I should especially if it isn't going to work. I have about 2weeks till the arms are ready so till then I will keep looking into it and maybe touch base back with you then if ok. You know when you get something in your head you got to fallow it thru price that i am thinking of spending will be about 3000 to 4000 we will see
This reply was deleted.

Activity