Dx8/AR8000 with FahPah Kit, Motor Arming and GPS Lock

It seems like this is one of my many posts with difficulties.  I am running a stock FahPah kit with an AR8000 receiver and a Dx8 transmitter.  I am using RC2/NG software with Mag and GPS in "X" mode.  My APM/IMU has been tested by Chris prior to shipping it to me.  Here is my problem.  I can calibrate the esc's through CLI and set min throttle.  The motors run after I calibrated the esc's and respond appropriately when I do the CLI motor test.  When I disconnect the AC from power, move the SW to turn off CLI then repower, I cannot get the motors to arm.  I have loaded and reloaded the code, checked all my connections, calibrated and recalibrated the esc's and min throttle, adjusted the ATV's for throttle and rudder, increased the subtrims and reset the EEPROM.  Nothing has solved the problem.  

Several things I have noted during all of this.  When powered the A led stays solid green as you would expect, but there are times when it will briefly slowly blink, 5-6 slow blinks and then back to solid green.  In addition, I get the solid blue light on the GPS and no light on the C led.  I should have at least 2D or 3D lock and it should be illuminated.  Here are pictures of the AR8000 mounted and connected to the IMU.   

AR8000 IMU Connections.jpg

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I have this exact same setup and have had no problems. I did calibrate all my escs individually by connecting them directly to the reciever when I first assembled the kit. When I loaded the RC2 code I reset the eeprom and recalibrated the escs using the CLI method. Everything works fine. Its probably not related to your problem but I did have issues with the bullet connectors between the escs and the motors and like a lot of people who had this issue have chopped them off and hardwired them.
  • Developer

Yes commands are in CAPITAL. This applies only for NG code and you use following commands to find out different things:

S - All generic flight information, angles, motor commands

(Order: timer, adc1, adc2, adc3, thr, roll, pitch, yaw, mot1, mot2, mot3, mot4, adc4, adc3, adc5)

adc values are raw values coming from different axis of gyros and accelerometers. Motor values are values that are sent to motors so when not armed you should see 1040 or similar on every and when armed you should see different values depending on your throttle and pitch/roll/yaw of your quad.

U - Receiver channels

(Order: ail, ele, yaw, thr, aux1, aux2, 3 x mid channel info)

One important note! Make sure that you do not have any carriage return etc on when trying to use these serial commands. This applies at least Arduino IDE's 0021 and 0022

Let us know how it goes... To test these all you don't even need to have ESC's connected just receiver hocked to APM is enough.

• Ed,
    On your motor arming issue......I had very similar problem with similar setup - everything fine but couldn't arm.

After much head scratching route cause was that I had been switching between ArduPilot Mega code where I was playing with the CLI and the NG code. This had left values in ch_yaw_slope on the EEPROM that was preventing the arm routing working.

A reset to factory settings in the NG CLI then re-run through the set up (min throttle etc) fixed things.

I found putting some Serial.print statements for throttle and yaw in the Radio part of the code useful (that's where the arming code is) in finding out what was going on...if your confident with the Arduino editor you could try that
  • green LED is solid after booting?

can you connect to configurator? (or just press 'S' in serial monitor of arduino)

This reply was deleted.

Activity