FPV over Cube 150 HD-SDI devices?

Hey everyone,

Just curious if anyone had any experience with Teradek cube HD WiFi encoders for FPV....

They seem very powerful, and capable of delivering loss-less video over high bandwidth.

http://yhst-128017942510954.stores.yahoo.net/cube-150350.html

I have an HD video camera with HD-SDI out, which would connect directly to this encoder, and simply plug the decoder to my laptop and capture the stream over 802.11b

Seems simple enough.

Any one else tried this before?

Cheers,

Tony

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I talked with the teradek guys at NAB. They've demoed their system with a PhotoshipOne Halo (both socal based companies). The video looks really good, no breaks, etc.. but A. The system works by diversity (802.11n) and not a point to point setup. B. the 2.4 does breakup on high speed (+35mph) manuevers due to the compression and the system is limited to around (realistically) 200ft LOS out of the box. And c. latency becomes an issue if you don't set up a lot of receivers. And don't ask about trees, fog, water, and people... 2.4 gets absorbed too easily.

We have guys trying to run much longer distances with the cube, but that involves a custom setup and more expensive equipment. I have not tried their 4G-LTE model, which I heard good things so far.

Otherwise the weight is excellent, the power consumption is excellent: compared to a Boxx or IDX system (both have lower latencies, but more heavy) range is the same as Boxx, though Boxx uses 5.8 freqs, which means less compression, but smaller range. IDX has the lowest latency, but also a 5.8 system and 4x heavier  and a power hog.You may want to check out Boxx if you're into live video, but of course it will cost you.

All in all, they're better than a custom-built "live view" gopro @1080p (with *horrible latency*), but you get what you pay for.

If it's anything over 720p, due to the available h/w, it will be compressed, period. Well, unless you're the military ;)

• Based on the description this doesn't do uncompressed video and it also has unacceptably high latency. I think you'd be better off with a lower cost solution for the live video and then just record the high definition video with the camera.

Cube uses H.264 High Profile (Level 4.1) video compression, which is the most advanced compression algorithm in the world today, and it features a built-in scaler to convert from 1080 to 720, 480 or 240 resolutions. Users can choose a resolution and target bit rate based on the availability of IP bandwidth. Typical bit rates for HD are between 2-4Mbps, and SD bit rates are typically sub-1Mbps. Cube's end-to-end latency is approximately 1/8-1/2 second.

This reply was deleted.

Activity