Hexa AdruCopter 3.0.1 adrunio board 2.5 random crashes

My hexa copter seems to want to crash. After being in the air for 10 to 45 seconds it randomly dives sideways and down into the ground. I have attached the logs when I most recently flew it in Stabilize mode.

In the logs there are no error messages or any performance flags. The only thing not 100% is the z Acceleration as it is a bit high (not sure how to dampen that out).

Tomorrow I will try with a different GPS/Mag sensor and a 2.6 board instead of the 2.5 that origonally came with it 

My setup

3DR kit

Hexa  flying in X setup (all 6 motors are the same and calibrated) 

10 inch blades

4 cell 5000 mAh 14.8 v battery 35-70C Discharge

V2.5 Adruino board

running ArduCopter V3.0.1

I would be grateful for any ideas

Thanks

2013-10-11 11-07 2.log

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Well replacing the ESC helped by increasing the time in the air but in the end the same thing happened.

here's a question

Is it possible that my ESC are failing because they have a amp rating that is too low?

My battery is 4 cell 14.8V with 35-70C discharge

My ESCs are rated to 30 A with a burst of 35A for 10 secs

We are using 10" Propellers 

The motor is AC2836-358, 880Kv 

From the seller's web site

"designed for 12x45 Propellers 

Motor features:

• Size: 28 x 36 mm
    • Shaft: 4mm
    • RPM/V: 880 Kv
    • Prop: 12x45
    • Batt: 2-4 S LiPo
    • Weight: 72gr
    • Cables: 35cm/18 AWG
    • Accessories: bullets, propeller adapter, shrink tubes

Tested thrust: 

Power out put from ESC, 3S LiPo, 12x45 Propeller
    25% 50% 75% 100%
    Amp
    Wattage
    Thrust
    1.5 A
    17.5W
    230gr
    6.1 A
    70W
    650gr
    14.2 A
    160W
    1290gr
    20A A
    210W
    1380gr

"

The only thing I can do is replace the motor.... any idea's?

• I had a similar problem with my quad.   would fly typically 3 minutes or less before the crash but sometimes 8-10 minutes.  I suspected a motor or esc and pretty much did what you are doing. Then I found I could save money on props and other carbon fiber repairs by testing it on the ground :)  so I just took the props off in the house and fired it up simulating flight by moving the sticks etc.  Seemed to work ok so I left it about half throttle for a few more minutes and lo and behold one of the motors just stopped.  so I swapped the esc to another motor on the quad and fired it up again.  after several minutes that motor stopped so I knew it was the esc.  I took a closer look at the esc for the motor that stopped and noticed a small burn mark.   I swapped it out for a new esc and did a test run again.  this time in the log I noticed that the curves were much smoother so I think that bad esc was messing with the log as well.  I have been flying fine ever since with at least 50 flights.

• ok Well decided to do one more crash (i mean test) before changing the ESC for more data.

This time I started in Stabilize until i got it into a hover then switch into alt hold. It held for a few seconds before crashing snapping off one of my legs. 

Motor 4 again had problems before the crash as seen in the logs. Now to replace my helicopter leg, swap out the ESC and try agian.

The bill for replacement parts is growing so and help would be much appreciated.

2013-10-17 10-36 1.log

• My understanding is that the EV or the event log does not state what flight mode you are in. 

I think EV 15 means that auto mode can be used (ie you have armed it and raised the throttle beyond a particular threshold then EV 15 is written to the logs).

If I switch into auto mode the logs will have a different entry under "mode" 

examples: 

MODE, STABILIZE, 473

MODE, ALT_HOLD, 473

Since it is not possible to arm (according to the documentation) in auto mode I don't think this can be my problem.

now to try one last time then switch out motor 4's ESC and see if that fixes this weird issue.

• Looks like you went into Auto Mode.

Under EV in your log it went....

10- Armed

15- Auto Armed

15- Auto Armed

16- Take Off

And you had no Waypoint Heights.

I can see your Altitude going up after the launch but no WPAlt ( Is meant to show target Altitude)

Maybe upload your Mission and check if you intended to be in Auto or Check your Flight Modes on the bench.

• ok well I have now tried several new things.

-Changed out the adruino 2.5 board with a 2.6 board. 

-Changed GPS to one with a mag sensor

-Replaced several motors and one ESC 

-Re-calibrated ESCs, MAG, ACC

-Recorded "motors" in the logs.

The end of the attached log shows the motors working to keep the helicopter at a near stable hover (flying in stabilize mode). Then they fall to zero just before the log ends. This was a crash as something failed. One interesting thing in the log is that motor 4 seems to drop just before the others shut down.

Would this be a ESC problem? Motor over heating?  Software bug?

Tomorrow I will switch out the ESC and try again. Then if it is still the same motor then I'll replace it and try again. 

I'll check back here tomorrow before starting to see if anyone has any ideas as to my hexacopter woes. Otherwise I'll post again after I try these two things

cheers 

2013-10-16 15-07 7.log

This reply was deleted.

Activity