Hi! I'm a n00b, have a few n00b questions...

VERY new to the UAV world and recently decided to take a stab at building a quad copter.

On a whim, I decided to buy a DJI Flamewheel 450 frame.  It includes the upper and lower boards (lower board has built in power distribution) and the arms.

However....everything else I have bought is from 3dRobotics.  Couple questions I have so far:

1)  As the ESC's came from 3DR, they come with plugs on the end that are meant to plug into the PDB sold by 3DR.  I'm assuming I could un-solder these plugs and solder them directly to the lower DJI board that has a built in PDB?  The DJI kit also came with two large wires, one red, one black.  I'm also assuming the I could solder the correct plug on to the end of these two wires to plug into a battery pack?

2)  The props I ordered from 3DR are huge!  11 inches I think.  They seem bigger than the ones I've seen on youtube vids.  I bought them as that is what 3DR suggested for the motors I bought from them.  Does this seem right?

Sure I'll have plenty more questions down the road :)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Ok...got the wiring figured out now.  Got a schematic of sorts on the "3DR power module with XT60 connectors and 6-position connector cable" that I mentioned above.  In the schematics, the outgoing end of this cable clearly shows the 6pin connector going to Pixhawk while the 2 thick red & black cables are to go to "the ESC or PBD".  So I just need to remove the plug at then end of those two cables (mean to plug into THEIR PDB wiring) and solder those directly to the PDB built into the lower plate. 

• I vote continue build, sleeping is over rated!!

Yes, I must read manual.  I'm one of those guys when something is ticking around my head with projects like this, I can't turn off my brain and come up with a ton of questions that I need answered NOW!!  Think I get that from my dad :)

• Thanks so much Johann!

I've copied down the info you provided for batteries and intend to get to the hobby store tonight to see what they have in stock. 

Also need to get a RC from the.

You are quite right, tons to learn but I've been enjoying it so far, just eager to get it together and working.  Need to take it slow though, don't want an expensive mistake on my hands!

Thanks again and I'm sure I'll be posting in this thread more and more as I start putting it together.

Talk soon!

• Hi 

1. Correct yes

2. Size of the props and motor and ESC specs go hand in hand. What motors and ESCs did you buy? What size battery are you going to run?

Kind regards

This reply was deleted.

Activity