High Altitude Firmware for Mediatek MT3329 GPS

I recently purchased two MT3329 modules for use on an APRS tracker, which I'd like to be able to use for high altitude balloon tracking. I tested one of the modules on the GPS simulator today and found that it cut off serial data at just over 60k feet; indicating that the max altitude/velocity limit is an OR relation (stops working if either is exceeded). Furthermore, the fact that the UART stops sending data as opposed to loses lock is a bit worrying as well, I did not check to see if it came back on after dropping below 60k feet. This could cause issues for applications relying on the GPS as a real-time clock, as I've done in some of my projects. I am wondering if it would be possible for DIYDrones to request a firmware that allows continued use of the GPS over 60k feet (change restriction to AND relation, as it should be).

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The Garmin 18x works above 60000 feet. We have flow it without issues on two occasions to over 100000 feet. The last flight was to over 126000. There are a few other units that have also been found to work. You will need to search online. There was an amateur radio HAB site that listed units that worked but I no longer have the address and I don't know if its still around or if its been updated.

Hope this helps

Rob

rstriemer AT pembinatrails.ca

• I'm hoping to hear an answer on this too. I'm wanting to use the APM to guide a balloon-dropped glider back to the launch point or to a remote touchdown site. Basically high-altitude balloon payload that navigates its way home. So I need an APM that will function at ~100k ft. 

This reply was deleted.

Activity