Wiki Ninja

Here is a guide for setting up 6 flight modes on 1 channel of a JR XG8 eight channel DMSS RC transmitter. This is achieved while only using one of the active channel inputs (the Flap/Aux1 channel) & the Mixing switch (2 position). The result is the Gear (RX ch5), Aux2 and Aux3 channels are free for other purposes.

The Flap switch on the transmitter must be reassigned from the default right side lever (FLAP LV) to Flap switch (FLAP SW, 3-position) on the left shoulder. The mixing switch (Mix SW 2, position) on the left shoulder provides the cut over to the other three modes. By setting the mix function to Flap-> Flap it can be done without losing the Gear (RX ch5), aux 2, aux3 channels.

Here are the settings:

• In the System List > Device Select > Flight Mode = Flap Sw >
    • ch6 Flap = Flap Sw > Output = Sys (system is required for Fuction>Flap System to be available)
    • Although not required to set up 6 Flight Modes on the TX I also:
      • To use APM ch6 In-Flight tuning, set ch 5 Gear = Aux2 LV (continuously adjustable Lever device ) > Output = Active
      • To use APM ch7, set Ch 7 Aux2 = Elev Sw > Output = Active

• To use the transmitters other continuously adjustable lever for APM In-flight adjustment, consider setting ch 7 Aux2 = Device Aux3 Lv., Output = Active
  • In the Function List > Program Mix 1 > change Inhibit to Normal
    • Set Master to FLAP, Include Flap Sys > ok
    • Set Slave to  FLAP, 
    • SW = Sel > Mix Sw, Pos 0 = 0 off, Pos 1 = 1 on
    • Leave Pos0 values at 0%
    • Use roller to navigate to Pos1
      • Use roller to set Pos1 Up to 100%
    • Toggle the TX Flap Switch to move edit cursor to next field,
      • enter +rate =100%, -rate=-50%, offset = +10
    • Toggle the Mix Switch on Tx, note Pos0 or Pos1 is displayed
  • In System List > Device Select > set ch 6  Flap output = SYS (system)
    • This enables Flap Sys menu
  • In Function List > FLAP System > Set 
    • FLAP Norm = UP 46%,
    • FLAP Mid = DN 10%,
    • FLAP Land = DN 100%,
    • Delay = INH, Trim In = INH,
    • ELEV Norm = 0, ELEV Mid = 0, ELEV Land = 0, Delay = INH, Trim In = INH
    • AILE Norm = 0, ELEV Mid = 0, ELEV Land = 0, Delay = INH, Trim In = INH
    • F. Mode 0=SW, FM-1=SW, FM-2=SW,
    • Auto Throttle = Inhibit

This will give you six positions for pulse widths corresponding to six flight modes. With the Mix switch off (backward) you get flight modes 0,2,4 on the flap switch, and with the mix switch on (forward) you get flight modes 1,3,5.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I never saw a transmitter that is so complicated to set pwm 6 positions with 2 switches, horrible!
    I also, get only 5 distinct positions, grrrrrrrrrrrrr
    • Change the FLAP Norm, FLAP Mid and FLAP Land in the FLAP Systems around until you get the right values. I suggest starting with the FLAP Mid. That got me the 6 channels.

• Hello!

Trying to follow this guide. But i am confused. I do not see any reference to rate and/or offset on my TX.

What may i be missing?
    • Might not be shown as rate but should have the values in the Program Mix 1 setup.

• Thanks. I have tried this. From the Two switches down position , I can switch the three position switch to middle and up position for the first three flight modes. I can see the channel six bar movements on XG8 s channel monitor. When I switched the mix (two position switch) up for the next 3 flight modes the bar would not move for the first position of flight mode switch (which is up). But it moves for the middle and down positions.

This make it 5 different flight modes. Is that how it was suppossed to work or I am missing something.

Thank you again.
    • I had the same problem with my JR XG8. I think the code might have been changed since Stephen wrote this instruction set. I made some changes that got me all 6 channels. Also in this manual he uses channel 6 for mode selection but the pixhawk mode selection uses channel 5. I had to interchange channel 5 and 6 when connecting the ppm encoder to my Rx (Don't think you can program the Flap Sys output that Stephen mentioned to the channel 5).

I fly mode 2 on my transmitter and had to connect the cables from the ppm encoder to the RG831B receiver in the following order:

Rx throttle to ppm channel 3

Rx aile to ppm channel 1

Rx elev to ppm channel 2

Rx rudd to ppm channel 4

Rx gear to ppm channel 6

Rx aux1 to ppm channel 5

Rx aux2 to ppm channel 7

Rx aux3 to ppm channel 8

Here is the setup I used to get the 6 channels among other changes i made from Stephen's setup (Correction I made to Stephen's instruction are bold and underlined):

• In the System List > Device Select > Flight Mode = Flap Sw >
        • ch6 Flap = Flap Sw > Output = Sys (system is required for Fuction>Flap System to be available)
        • Although not required to set up 6 Flight Modes on the TX I also:
          • To use APM ch6 In-Flight tuning, set ch 5 Gear = Flap LV (Don't have a Aux2 LV but I think he was referring to Flap LV. Not required to get all 6 channels for modes) (continuously adjustable Lever device ) > Output = Active
          • To use APM ch7, set Ch 7 Aux2 = Elev Sw > Output = Active

• To use the transmitters other continuously adjustable lever for APM In-flight adjustment, consider setting ch 8 Aux3 = Device Aux3 Lv., Output = Active (Found this better for me. Not required to get all 6 channels for modes)
      • In the Function List > Program Mix 1 > change Inhibit to Normal
        • Set Master to FLAP, Include Flap Sys > ok
        • Set Slave to  FLAP, 
        • SW = Sel > Mix Sw, Pos 0 = 1 on, Pos 1 = 0 off (Found this better for me. Not required to get all 6 channels for modes)
        • Leave Pos0 values at 0%
        • Use roller to navigate to Pos1
          • Use roller to set Pos1 Up to 100%
        • Toggle the TX Flap Switch to move edit cursor to next field,
          • enter +rate =100%, -rate=-50%, offset = +10
        • Toggle the Mix Switch on Tx, note Pos0 or Pos1 is displayed
      • In System List > Device Select > set ch 6  Flap output = SYS (system)
        • This enables Flap Sys menu
      • In Function List > FLAP System > Set 
        • FLAP Norm = UP 46%,
        • FLAP Mid = 0%, (This change is what got me all six channels)
        • FLAP Land = DN 100%,
        • Delay = INH, Trim In = INH,
        • ELEV Norm = 0, ELEV Mid = 0, ELEV Land = 0, Delay = INH, Trim In = INH
        • AILE Norm = 0, ELEV Mid = 0, ELEV Land = 0, Delay = INH, Trim In = INH
        • F. Mode 0=SW, FM-1=SW, FM-2=SW,
        • Auto Throttle = Inhibit

Hope this helps anyone else planning to go with JR XG8s on the quad. If you still don't get all 6 channels, just readjust the "Function List > FLAP System > Set" Norm, Mid and Land values until they match the ranges shown in the Mission Planner or APMPlanner2 Flight Mode setup page. Also make sure that you are transmitting your mode selection channel from the XG8 to the Pixhawk channel 5.

I would also like to thank Stephen for the instructions since it helped me a lot with my setup.

This reply was deleted.

Activity