IP video display in APM Mission planner

I am starting my plan for adding a video down-link to my quad copter and I have a question regarding the video input to the laptop. From everything I have seen so far it looks like most people use some type of USB video capture card for importing the live video into the mission planner. Is there any way to use an IP video source? I have access to an Axis video to Ethernet converter and would like to bring in the video that way. So my questions are:

1. Is it possible to use an IP based video source?

2. Are there any USB capture boards that are known to work out of the box?

Thank you

Keith

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I use software http://www.videolan.org/vlc/  for playback of video.

Official download of VLC media player, the best Open Source player - VideoLAN
    Official download of VLC media player, the best Open Source player
  • Ip transmit video if you can do.

I am using this system. integration with the apm planner is what is missing.

http://www.draganfly.com/sku/DF-IPVID-ACAM.php5

The Analog Camera Wireless Digital Video System connects to any analog camera and converts the signal to digital, which is then broadcast over the 802.11n wireless protocol. This means you to can use analog cameras as IP cameras and connect to them using the  Base Station Digital Receiver. Converting analog cameras to digital with the Analog Camera Wireless Digital Video System allows you to:

• Connect to an any NTSC or PAL analog camera over the 802.11n protocol
    • Stream live video over the internet using wifi hotspots or any 3G device that supports tethering
    • Encrypt your video transmission to prevent unauthorized access
    • Receive static free digital images, even at the limit of the transmission range

Note that the Analog Camera Wireless Digital Video System does not support taking still pictures while recording video (for which the complete IP camera system is required).

Digital transmission has several advantages over conventional analog signals, including:

• Image and video integrity doesn’t change as the distance between the transmitter and receiver increases. The frame rate will decrease near maximum range, but the quality of each frame will remain constant.
    • Video can be streamed over the internet. This means that you can show others exactly what the helicopter is seeing from virtually any location using either a wifi hotspot or a 3G enabled cellular device.
    • Static, white snow and other visual interference is eliminated when using a digital transmission. 
    • Analog to Digital Video Converter and Server
    • http://www.axis.com/products/cam_m7001/
      • Model: Axis Communications M7001
      • Video Compression: H.264 (MPEG-4 Part 10/AVC) Motion JPEG
      • Max. Video Resolutions: NTSC: 720x480 to 176x120 PAL: 720x576 to 176x144
      • Frame Rate H.264: 30 / 25 (NTSC / PAL) FPS in all resolutions
      • Frame Rate Motion JPEG: 30 / 25 (NTSC / PAL) FPS in all resolutions
      • Video Buffer: 20 MB
      • Power: Power over Ethernet IEEE 802.3af Class 2
      • Operating Conditions: 0-50 Celsius at 20-80% non condensing humidity
      • Weight: 82g (0.18 lb.)
    • Base Station Digital Receiver:
    • http://www.balticnetworks.com/ubiquiti-nanostation-nsm5.html
      • Model: Ubiquity Networks NanoStation M5
      • Enclosure Size: 29.4 cm x 8 cm x 3 cm
      • Weight: 400 grams
      • Operating Conditions: -30 C to 80C at 5% to 95% condensing humidity
      • Power Supply: 15V, 0.8A surge protection integrated POE adapter
      • Enclosure Characteristics: Outdoor UV Stabilized Plastic
      • Wireless Approvals: FCC Part 15.247, IC RS210, CE
      • RoHS compliant
    • Access Point:
    • http://www.ubnt.com/bulletm
      • Model: Ubiquity Networks Bullet M5 HP
      • Enclosure Size: 15.8 cm x 4.3 cm x 4.3 cm Custom Enclosure
      • Weight: 94 grams
      • Operating Conditions: -40 C to 80C at 5% to 95% condensing humidity
      • Power Supply: Passive Power Over Ethernet (paris 4,5+; 7,8 return)
      • Enclosure Characteristics: Outdoor UV Stabilized Plastic
      • Wireless Approvals: FCC Part 15.247, IC RS210, CE
      • RoHS compliant
    • Analog Camera and Mount
    • Analog to Digital Video Converter and Server

The Analog Camera Wireless Digital Video System features an Analog to Digital Video Converter and Server, which is mounted on the Draganflyer helicopter fuselage with any  analog camera. The Analog to Digital Video Converter and Server reads NTSC or PAL output from the analog camera and converts it to a digital signal, which is then sent to the included 802.11n Wireless Access Point. The server draws power from the helicopter flight batteries, so no external power supply is needed. It can be used to convert any of our analog cameras to digital.

Access Point

The access point is a device that connects to the Video Server on the helicopter and broadcasts digital video over the 802.11n wireless protocol. The wireless access point is mounted to the helicopter with the camera and allows you to connect to the camera using the  software and any laptop with an 802.11n wireless network card. You can enable wireless encryption to keep the video stream secure.

Analog Camera and Mount (optional if upgrading existing Draganflyer Camera)

The Analog Camera Wireless Digital Video System is compatible with all Analog Cameras and mounts. Add an optional analog camera and mount if you want to add digital functionality to an analog camera you don’t already own.

Base Station Digital Receiver

The Base Station Digital Receiver is an 802.11n wireless client that allows you to connect to and receive video transmitted from the Access Point on your  helicopter. The Base Station Digital Receiver is a Wi-Fi radio system like the Wireless Access Point, but has been configured to work as a Wireless Client. The Base Station Digital Receiver plugs into any computer running  via a standard Ethernet link, and forms a small local network between itself, your computer, and the Wireless Access Point.

The Analog Camera Wireless Digital Video System can be either be purchased with a UAV helicopter and analog video camera, or it can upgrade an existing analog camera to use Digital signals.

• Developer

currently it is not possible.

What camera do you have? and what format does it output?

This reply was deleted.

Activity