IRIS without + upgrade solution?

I have an IRIS without the + upgrade. Anyone scrap their IRIS and build a new bird? Just get the 5100 mah battery? Looking for solution to get more flight time..

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Matt, 

I have the original IRIS, front mounted gimbal ( Hero3), and 5.8  FPV ( 600mw), soon to be replaced by 1.2

In my quest for longer flight times….I did the following

Hobbyking  

Multistar 6600mah :
    Minimum Capacity: 6600mAh
    Configuration: 6S1P / 22.2V / 6Cell
    Constant Discharge: 10C
    Peak Discharge (10sec): 20C
    Pack Weight: 794g
    Pack Size: 143 x 50 x 53mm
    Charge Plug: JST-XH
    Discharge Plug: XT90

Split them in half !!! ( re-do 3s  balancer connection) and your choice of charging plug  and you will end up with 2X 3s 6600mah that fit perfectly in IRIS battery space.

You need to be comfortable in splitting the batteries!!! 6 s on 2 x 3s

When you separate the cells you need to be careful to keep the soldering plate (nickel) on both ends of the both batteries.

It’s a bit hard to explain:  LiPoly cells have a nickel negative tab and an aluminum positive tab.( if I’m correct)

In fabrication process the are “cold welded” together

Since you can only solder to nickel when you split the cells  MAKE SURE YOU KEEP NIKEL ON BOTH OF THEM  so you ca solder your 10AWG silicon cable.

As I said above the remaining 3 cells fit perfectly in IRIS tray. ( you may be able to add a thin shrink wrap)

I get 16 minutes with gimbal and FPV, and this on The original IRIS – developer edition !!!

I have high hopes when I will do he upgrade to +.

Since this mod success depends on user experience, it has the potential of ending in disaster

Please make sure you are comfortable by doing this, and you know what you doing

Make sure you do proper soldering on + and -, use proper gauge cables, and insulate the cells properly.

Also please keep the batteries under observation for few cycles.

• http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__56839__Multistar_High_Capaci...

get about 15 mins (no camera no gimbals) in hot climate (tropical, 90% humidity, 30 celsius

This reply was deleted.

Activity