Joystick on Mission Planner

Hello from Italy.
I have a question regarding Mission Planner and 3DR Radios.
I would like to use a joystick connected to the laptop which is also connected 3DR Radios, to control the movements of the camera on the drone.
If I do I enable the joystick on the MP with the channels 7 and 8,  I can use at the same time my normal radio tx to fly the drone?

Tks

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The reason why I was looking at flying with joystick was that I thought I could get more range with the 900mhz connection to the PIXHAWK than my DX8 2.4ghz tx could get. Planning to use the myflydream for a ground station and use the 5.8ghz AV and somehow add the 900mhz patch panel to the system but not sure the tracking device can handle two patch panel antennas.
    • For the antenna tracker I'm looking for a good mechanic to install an antenna for video (5.8 GHz 11 dBi Flat Patch Antenna) and a directive for radio 3DR (440-5 Portable Hand Held Five Element Yagi)

• Thinking about it, makes more sense to just use the joystick for the gimbal/camera operations anyway.
    • As soon as I will have prepared the ground station, I will do the tests and then write the results

• Yes, there can be a delay in the controls. I have flown using a joystick and the 3dr radio at 57k baud, but it was difficult because it felt like there was about a tenth of a second delay. It could just be in my mind though. It may be fine for a camera gimbal. You could try increasing the baud rate to 115k, but I haven't tried it. I have been using a 3DR radio with an arducopter without telemetry (just sending the control data) at 57k baud to fly and it is updating the controls 250 times per second which is almost as fast as the servos can receive updates.

• That is a sweet setup. I just got my joystick and DX8 both working. Was thinking about flying the plane with the joystick and using the DX8 to control the camera along with 3axis gimbal? Probably test that out soon.
    • I would use the radio (Taranis) to fly the drone and joystick to move the camera gimbal through the 3DRdatalink but I think this there will be delay in the controls because of the speed of signal transmission

This reply was deleted.

Activity