JSBSim S-Function for Matlab/Simulink

Quick introduction first: My name is Brian Mills and I've been employed in the commercial flight sim industry for 8+ years.Recently I've been working on an S-Function that integrates JSBSim (the default flight dynamic model for FlightGear open source flight simulator) into Simulink. Anyone who has read the interview with Curtis Olsen about the utility of using FlightGear for HIL testing will probably be very interested in this. By bringing JSBSim into Matlab/Simulink, a UAV designer can develop and test the FDM model within Simulink, and once completed, can then develop control systems and sensor models using Simulink tools. This means an entire UAV vehicle and guidance control system could be developed and tested using an established flight simulation product running in Simulink.If anyone is interested in testing this please PM me and I can email you the .rar. Its about 28MB. As an alternative, I hope to upload the project to Mathworks.com soon and get it on the JSBSim-Matlab sourceforge siteFYI, this is still "beta" and there is more work to be done. Also, since many people do not have access to Matlab, I hope that in the near future a version for the free ScicoLab can be released.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi, Brian!

I see that this discussion was 3 years ago, but I will try. :-) Hope, you are still able to read messages from this site.

I'm very interested in it but I was not able to download the latest version from Dropbox - the link doesn't work. :-( Version that is published on Mathworks site also not works on my PC - I have 64-bit MATLAB R2014a.

Could you please share link to the latest 64-bit version?

Thank you very much for your project. 

Artem

• Check here for a Flightgear- Scilab interface

http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/creating-a-full?xg_source=msg_c...

- Roy
  • FYI to everyone~

If you have not already done so, please send me a friend request soon so that I can send a PM request for everyones email addresses. At the end of the week I will email the latest revision of the JSBSim SFunction project to everyone that provides an email address. Unfortunately the Mathworks website no longer allows executable files to be uploaded to the site.

Thanks!
    Brian
  • I think Roy is right in that JSBSim may not be a good choice for rotorcraft. I think that flight models using blade element theory are better for those types of vehicles. In fact, the flight simulation company I work for uses JSBSim type flight models for their fixed-wing sims, but uses blade element theory models for our helo sims.

While Roy is also correct about doing ones own flight model in Simulink/Matlab or scicoslab, the advantage to using something like JSBSim is that once the flight model is verified in Matlab, it is the exact same flight model that is used in a full flight sim product like FlightGear. There is actually another flight model in FG that is good for rotorcraft flight models - YASIM.

It may be useful to have another SFunction developed for YASIM so that people could start using these tools for developing rotorcraft models as well as the fixed-wing stuff.
  • Hi,

I am very new in the simulation area. I wonder if you ever considered (and probably rejected) Modelica (modelica.org) instead of Simulink. Simulink may be a proper alternative but it is expansive for someone who intend to experiment in this area at home.
    I would be very grateful for your opinion. Thanks!

George
  • Hello, I am a 4th year student of UQ in Australia, and I involve in a UAV project designing the simulink model to cooperate with FlightGear using the existing physical model built in JBSim.

I want to have a look at you S-funtion as a reference. Could you send your beat to me?

My email address is levilliang@gmail.com

Thanks a lot!
  • Me too, i would also like to test your program. Thanks in advance
  • Wow! - I know that this is an old post... but are you still offering trials of your beta version? I just started my PhD in controls engineering and I am looking for a high fidelity model (which is compatible with simulink) for testing controller designs.
    If its as good as it sounds you should be selling it :p

would love a copy!!!!!

Olly
  • Hello, I'm studing MatLab/Simulink and would like you send me your program. Would help me very. My e-mail is tiago.cariolano@gmail.com. Thank you very much.
  • Hy,
    Please would you send me this program and I would like to ask if you used Stateflow to program the UAV waypoint following please send me any paper or software related to this.
    Thank you in advance.
This reply was deleted.

Activity