Just another 5 hour endurance full electric VTOL

We VTOLized the Raptor E1, at the same time we further optimized the power plant to achieve 50-80 Watt power consumption at cruise speed at 16.5 m/s with 3.5 Kg payload.

All in all very happy with the conversion. If anyone interested we are taking pre-orders to setup a manufacturing line with an aerospace composite partner company in England UK. This would allow us to release a high quality full composite platform at an accessible price tag. 

Check http://www.raptoruas.com/ev.html for more info

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Graham Dyer said:

2+ hours with LiPo's takes a bit of doing, with Li-Ion it's a bit easier but 5 hours is a real challenge especially if it's going to do a VTOL takeoff and landing.

So I'd suggest doing a documented duration test, and post the log from whatever flight controller you're using. Or plot the flight out on Google Earth. Also use the test as a distance check. Calculations and real world tests can vary considerably. Only a very few have exceeded 200km and that's with highly optimized planes (non-VTOL) and very little payload.

If you are happy with the log file, then that is easy enough. It is easy enough.  Will finish the V2 mods and get the log posted here. 

• Gary Mortimer said:

As regards proof, this is how we did it in the case of one manufacturer, I sent somebody to stand on an airfield to watch a six hour flight.

We can do that again!

OK, happy with that

• Gary Mortimer said:

Does it not contain your partner's fuel cell??

https://www.suasnews.com/2015/09/uk-singapore-collaboration-prepare...

No it doesn't, just a 28,000 mah LiPo

I'm interested in what you say about aerodynamics as are not all of those negated with four extra props and associated gubbin s being dragged along for the ride most of the flight?

Without the VTOL conversion the standard system is capable of more than 6 hours with the same battery.

But as I said the two most important points other fixed wing UAVs are not getting the same performance is 1) airfoils 2) wingloading . This system has been optimized for max loiter at minimum power

2+ hours with LiPo's takes a bit of doing, with Li-Ion it's a bit easier but 5 hours is a real challenge especially if it's going to do a VTOL takeoff and landing.

So I'd suggest doing a documented duration test, and post the log from whatever flight controller you're using. Or plot the flight out on Google Earth. Also use the test as a distance check. Calculations and real world tests can vary considerably. Only a very few have exceeded 200km and that's with highly optimized planes (non-VTOL) and very little payload.

As regards proof, this is how we did it in the case of one manufacturer, I sent somebody to stand on an airfield to watch a six hour flight.

We can do that again!

Does it not contain your partner's fuel cell??

https://www.suasnews.com/2015/09/uk-singapore-collaboration-prepare...

I'm interested in what you say about aerodynamics as are not all of those negated with four extra props and associated gubbin s being dragged along for the ride most of the flight?

UK-Singapore Collaboration Prepares for Record 300km Hydrogen Fuel Cell UAV Flight
    A new civilian fuel cell UAV designed for search and rescue is gearing up for the world’s first ever 300km UAV flight to cross the North Sea, linking…

• Graham Dyer said:

Why not put the motor wires inside the tube arms? Looks really tacky and unprofessional with them hanging loose with just the odd cable tie.

Yes, agreed, this is the first conversion of the VTOL proto, so yes a bit rough

5 hours duration on LiPo's is a pretty ambitious claim, do you have a log or video to back that up?

Can't say I agree there is anything ambitious about this, it consumes 50-80 Watt at level cruise at 16.5 m/s at 3.5 Kg payload.with 200 Watt during turns But you are right we should back this up. 

Would people be happy with a G-code verified GPS tracklog, what is it that people would like to see? and we will produce it.

We have spent significant time in optimizing the power plant and the endurance is a product of the platforms aerodynamics and the power plant optimization.  I will say only one thing, the reason other UAVs are not achieving long endurance at least based on what we see is 1) wrong airfoil thickness, 2) high wing loading.

Thanks

Why not put the motor wires inside the tube arms? Looks really tacky and unprofessional with them hanging loose with just the odd cable tie.

5 hours duration on LiPo's is a pretty ambitious claim, do you have a log or video to back that up?

This reply was deleted.

Activity