LS-X4 800 Alien Built!

Work has been extra busy so I haven't had a ton of time to work on my LS-X4 800 quad, but I managed to get everything strapped in and screwed down tonight.  The build so far:

• Lisam LS-X4 800mm carbon fiber frame
  • PixHawk autopilot with u-blox GPS and compass
  • T-Motor Navigator MN-3508 motors
  • I-Flight Ipeaka Quattro 30 amp 4-in-1 ESC
  • Spektrum Dx6 radio with Spektrum Satellite digital receiver
  • Fusion 6000mAh 3 cell packs for 6 cell power

Modifications so far:

• Replaced cheesy (and strip-prone) plastic standoffs between the frame elements with nice black 30mm aluminum threaded standoffs from Ready Made RC
  • Replaced cheesy (and weak) plastic standoffs between the lower frame element and the carbon battery tray with nice black 40mm aluminum threaded standoffs from Ready Made RC
  • Made a nice little 'tower' above the top frame out of on-hand parts to temporarily hold the compass and receiver
  • Two rectangular-ish Arris carbon battery trays are on the way from China to make a double deck above the main deck for the telemetry transmitter, FPV transmitter space plus any other doo dads - and cover up the hole in the top plate where the PixHawk is vulnerable.
  • Front mounted Lisam LS-150 gimbal is also on the way from China: http://bit.ly/1t1jgdA
  • Mobius camera will be mounted to the gimbal using a 3D printed custom Mobius cradle from a Shapeways artist: http://bit.ly/1oGrYKk

All of the parts and pieces are here, plus I've fiddled around with both Mission Planner and QGroundControl for a few hours.  Both seem nearly identical and equally confusing!  LOL!

With any luck, we'll have first flight videos this weekend!

Drone II 004.JPG

Drone II 010.JPG

Drone II 017.JPG

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• so could this frame swing an 18" prop?

Would tarot 25mm parts work with this frame?

any possibility for going x8 with this frame?

hzl

• I have been looking at this kit too. Any update on the build and how it flies? I am looking to put 6s battery and 320kv motors with 15x5 CF props.

Thanks!

• I am currently using dual 3 cell Fusion 6000 packs for batteries.  The 30 amp 4 in 1 esc handles 6 cells, so I figure I may as well use it's full capacity.  The ESC, however, has been nothing but a pain in the ass for setup.  I finally broke down yesterday and bought the programming card, which ought to be here Wednesday.  Virtually every time I've flown it, it reverts to an annoying Program mode and if you lose track of the damn beep beep beeps, it gets all screwed up.

I moved the stock battery tray to the top and added another underneath for the batteries.  This provided a nice mounting spot for the Spektrum satellite receiver, 3DR compass and telemetry units, and will eventually hold the the camera transmitter as well.

The build quality of the carbon fiber platform seems very nice, but the 'folding arms' feature is very simple and also very strippable.  I opted to forego the 'folding' function and just use regular 3mm screws for everything.  I have plenty of room in the back of the van, so no need to fold it.

Seems like lots of little things get in the way - I needed a Spektrum receiver to program the PixHawk, but don't need it when flying.  Had to buy one.  The esc's needed programming.  Had to buy the program card.  The platform screws and standoffs were cheap.  Had to replace them.  Etc, etc.  LOL!  If I wanted a cookie cutter quad, I'd have just bought the IRIS instead.

Once I get more familiar with QGroundcontrol, I'll have some missions recorded to upload.  I bought myself a MUVI wearable camera to attach to ME when flying, too.  Never hurts to have more views of the action. 

quad III 001.JPG

quad III 005.JPG

quad III 004.JPG

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3702507392?profile=original
This reply was deleted.

Activity