Wiki Ninja

Magnetometer HMC 5843 not recognized in APM 2.22?

Chris and guys,

I've just uploaded the latest version of the APM code to my APM from the latest APM Planner to date (1.0.63). I then went to CLI mode to test the compass. Alas! Compass was not intialized! On my previous code (2.21), my compass was still recognized, even if the initialization failed. With the latest version, I could only see question marks. Anybody had this? Is HMC5843 not supported by the latest code?

Gent

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Wiki Ninja

Chris,

Like with James, that is exactly what is happening to my magnetometer and APM. When I check the mag in the hardware setup and input the declination, it remains checked as long as the pin is away from the servo headers. When I go to CLI mode to test it, the magnetometer fails the initalization, but the declination is there. When I go back to the hardware setup, the magnetometer is now unchecked, the declination still present.

I have unsoldered my magnetometer from the oilpan and just placed it on the headers then pressed it downwards. When I checked it on the CLI, the mag was enabled and the initialization was successful. So my mag works! But when I soldered it back again with the same amount of downward pressure, the previous result happens and the initilalization fails.

Another thing, the plane figure in the flight data page of the APM Mission Planner is sometimes off from 45-90 degrees, even with GPS 3D lock. it is as if the 3D triangulation of the heading is not enough. The magnetomer would have corrected that?

Gent

• 3D Robotics

First, the current code is 2.23, not 2.22. Are you sure you uploaded the latest code?

Second, the 5843 is fully supported in 2.23. Make sure it's plugged in before you enable it via the Mission Planner. The code won't enable the compass if none is attached.

This reply was deleted.

Activity