I was testing out my new quadcopter today and it was working well, not perfectly, but I was using only Stabilize and AltHold modes. Stabilize worked fine, and AltHold worked for a while...

It did a pretty good job of maintaining altitude for the first 15 minutes, then after swapping batteries it decided to shoot up about 150 feet out of range of my tx (it's a cheap tx with low range), I panicked and tried swapping to Stabilize mode and threw down the throttle, but it didn't respond and kept going up. Then all of a sudden, it seemingly disarms and plummets to the ground. Fortunately a tree broke it's fall or it woulda been toast. Only a broken arm to boot.

I came home and tested the failsafes to make sure they work, and they do. I used the ArduPilot failsafe guide for checking them and it swaps to Land mode once I turn off the tx. So I've no clue what happened once it went out of range.

That being said, this was a catastrophic failure. I will add the flight log here, I'm not sure what to analyze to get to the bottom of the problem. It notes a battery failure, and also a RC failure, and I've taken a look at the barometer data and nothing looks out of the ordinary.

2015-09-11 20-22-58 52.bin.log

CatastrophicFailure 9-11-2015.jpg

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• It was 0% at the start because as I said I panicked, but then I moved it up to 50% right away, and it still died.

Any clue what the battery failure could be about? I checked the battery afterwords and it was still full.

This reply was deleted.

Activity