MediaTek 3329 and Mini GPS problem

I have a MediaTek 3329 GPS which I received with the kit I received from DIY Drones in early
December. I decided to try ArduPiratesNG but wasn't sure which firmware the GPS had. 

The PC running Windows 7 sees the FTDI cable as COM 4 and I changed the baud rate to 115200 in device manager. I connected the FTDI cable to the GPS using 4 jumper cables following the scheme described at http://code.google.com/p/ardupilot/wiki/MediaTek.

I started the Mini GPS software and set it to COM 4 115200 baud and click connect. The blue LED on the GPS flashes a while and then turns steady. I click Cold Start and a timer starts incrementing at the bottom of the Mini GPS status page.

I click the Mini GPS About tab and then Query.  Nothing is returned. Also, there is nothing displayed on the Status page under Date, Time, Lat, Lon, etc.  NoFix shows in red.

I was able to follow the procedures to update the firmware to 1.6 and everything went as described in the instructions.  After the update, I was still unable to see anything different in Mini GPS.

Thinking I may have fried the GPS somehow, I ordered a new one from DIY Drones.  It arrived this morning and I soldered on 4 pins and tried Mini GPS again with the same results as with the first GPS.

The GPS was outside duiring testing.

Any ideas what may be wrong?

Thanks

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

This reply was deleted.

Activity