MR60

MP connected and downloaded firmware to the APM 2.5 without issue.  But when I click the upper right Connect to get the parameters:

o When the USB is plugged in, COM4 Adrino Mega 2560 (COM4) appears [device setting is 115200 as is the MP pulldown]

o When click Connect

- MP sees the connection and it starts to connect

-  APM blue light 3 times, red flashes twice, yellow light flashes, green is solid 

o Then countdown to "No Heatbeat Packets Received"

- orange light stops

- green stays solid

o Under details, the following is shown.

3691113690?profile=original

I might be just tired, but can anyone help?

I'm powering via the USB.  Nothing but the GPS/Mag and radio is powered by the APM (disconnected the receiver and ESCs).  I've tried adding battery power, reinstalling the firmware (does that part just fine), differnt USB ports, restarting my computer, ... 

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• MR60

Hi Gustav,

Have you !measured with a multimeter that you do not get 3.3V to be sure you have a blown regulator? You can measure that with the two extreme pins of the I2c connector (the one just next to the power module port)

If it confirms it is blown, you will have no choice than to replace this regulator but it it a tricky job.

• OK have a the fixed board in hand.

I must step up and ask the el grande stupido question of the week....possibly the year

But in more than one location on credible sites and so on it says

"When connecting to USB, do NOT have anything else connected to the board nor Do not connect any devices such as a radio receiver, MinimOSD, GPS, etc while the APM is powered especially while powered only through the USB cable. Doing so could damage the board, this is now minimized with the SMD 3.3V regulator MOD, but best to play it safe and provide the addtional external power, and no connecting anything while powered.."

How is one supposed to for example hook up and calibrate GPS and setup anu other hardware for that matter?

The repaired board does have the 100uf cap mod to protect against this but its really confusing.

Cheers

Gustav

• THANK YOU!!!!! this was my issue! I disconnected the receiver and power module,,

and yahoooooo! back in operation!

again thank you

Mark

• Thanks for the input, both Hugues and Ted and confirmation that my newbness is at least troubleshooting in the right direction.

For some reason I cant get any measurements off the 2 pins directly off the vertical I2C plug

But when I measure across the regulators lower and upper pins I get 5.1 volts

Forgot to mention that the signature initial blinks followed by the no blink brown out also happens

So there we have it thanks for confirming it.

Did try another USB cable, reboots, reinstalls EEPROM erase all to no avail, it was only after seeing theclosed post and this one by Forrest that my understanding gelled and put the voltmeter leads to the board.

The boards vendors site clearly states they have done the needfull and added the 100uF Cap mod to avoid this so im stumped

Contingency to get back on track Fast as Possible located supplier here under $10 shipped 1-2 days hoping seller will step up but that will likely entail a 20 day wait

Plan C

If im going to wait is it circuit board roulette buying an APM board from sources like GOODLUCKBUY et al ?

• MR60

Your advice is always top notch.  Definitely have not tried that yet and it looks hopeful.  And will do so because I can use that module on a play copter for friends.  At least if that doesn't work, i'll be pretty sure that it's hardware.

I took the 2.6 issue as a sign from the multirotor gods that the world endurance record needs to be broken with the PixHawk.  Guess I owe it to 3DR to at least try as they push the technology (don't want to do it with old technology).  It weighs 8 grams more stripped (14 grams more out of the box), so don't know if it can be done as the ship will also be carrying a camera and now a buzzer, failsafe switch, encoder, etc.  Maybe the faster processor makes the ship more efficient?  I can only hope.

Thanks again.

• MR60

I am smiling alone with a crazy idea: to compensate for weight, why not add an helium filled balloon on the multicopter lol

• MR60

Seriously, if someone could design a propeller cage made from rip-stop nylon and helium that was weight neutral, it might sell. 

• we are trying to do that. I will tell you more soon

• LOL!!!!........ maybe 2? 

• MR60

actually there was a recent post here a few days ago on diydrones of a Düsseldorf company who has a project to install an autopilot on a blimp. It looks quite interesting to me and have taken contact with me.

This reply was deleted.

Activity