Space is tight in my RC plane so I had to place my Pixhawk flight controller on its left side.  I was able to orient my Ublox GPS + compass conventionally, meaning horizontally with the arrow pointing forward.

I believe that the board orientation must indicate an unconventional orientation by changing the AHRS parameter in mission planner.

But what do I do with the external compass orientation?

The problem I'm having is that the controls respond backward in stabilize, fly by wire A or B.

The controls respond correctly to transmitter input in manual.

Thank you for your help.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 3D Robotics

Thanks for sharing the solution! That must have been a lot of trial-and-error to find that.

Dan Benson said:

O.K. I seem to have fixed the problem.  Here's my solution for others stumped as I was.  

I needed to mount the flight controller on its side and still control the aircraft properly in stabilize, FBWA, FBWB, etc.

1.  In Mission planner => initial setup =>mandatory hardware  => servos.  Check "reverse" on the servos 

2.  In Mission Planner => advanced configuration => AHRS chose control board orientation.  The front direction of roll is measured as if  you were looking forward from the tail.  So if the board is on its left side its rolled 270 degrees! 

3.  In M.P. =>advanced parameters =>compass orientation.  Mine is level so its rolled 90 degrees.

4.  NOW change the output on your transmitter to reverse those servos as necessary to have the control surfaces act properly.

Hope this helps save you a lot of time.

Dan Benson

Mission planner parameters when flight controller board orientation and external compass differ
    Space is tight in my RC plane so I had to place my Pixhawk flight controller on its left side.  I was able to orient my Ublox GPS + compass conventio…
  • O.K. I seem to have fixed the problem.  Here's my solution for others stumped as I was.  

I needed to mount the flight controller on its side and still control the aircraft properly in stabilize, FBWA, FBWB, etc.

1.  In Mission planner => initial setup =>mandatory hardware  => servos.  Check "reverse" on the servos 

2.  In Mission Planner => advanced configuration => AHRS chose control board orientation.  The front direction of roll is measured as if  you were looking forward from the tail.  So if the board is on its left side its rolled 270 degrees! 

3.  In M.P. =>advanced parameters =>compass orientation.  Mine is level so its rolled 90 degrees.

4.  NOW change the output on your transmitter to reverse those servos as necessary to have the control surfaces act properly.

Hope this helps save you a lot of time.

Dan Benson

This reply was deleted.

Activity