Mission Specific UAV Build

I'm new to forums, new to FPV & Auto Pilot Systems and open to advice. Please feel free to chime in and correct me any way you feel necessary.About Me:Flew smaller nitros (.3 -.6 ) when younger then quit flying for 15 years (kids, money, time) till last year. Well I got hooked again but just flying the Park Zone aircraft which is fun but time to move back into gas and something a little bigger and with a purpose. Light experience with programming, electronics and mechanical. Have built and implemented complete custom video vehicle systems for government to meet mission specific goals.My end goal for this build is to personally utilize the aircraft for some commercial work. Ill need to create 4 easily swappable and preconfigured payload modules for specific mission requirements and I'm looking to get as long a range as possible for control, telemetry and video. (Just like everybody!) Here's my list of parts ordered so far - still a lot to go!Aircraft: Mugin 3 meter with twin tail configurationEngine: 55cc twin two stroke with CDI (comes with aircraft - Quality?) 22 x 8 propManual Control: Futaba 2.4 Ghz 10ch. & Receiver ComboFixed Systems Electrical/Electronics: Ardupilot Mega 2.5 uBlox LEA-6H GPS, Ardupilot MinimOSD, I2C Voltage Translator, Airspeed Kit, MB1000 LV-MaxSonar for landing, 3D Robotics 915mhz Telemetry Kit, 5.8GHz 1200mW TX/RX, fixed 540line OSD video for FPV video, 2way video switch, PUNK RC Aircraft Lighting KitStill to come: Sullivan onboard generator, Multiple PTZ systems for various camera loads, Auto tracking Antenna station, Custom build Ground Control Station either in separate trailer or integrated into my RV with field deplorable 40ft mast.Debating: Parachute recovery system for those days when TSHTF.Any ideas, suggestions will be greatly appreciated and I plan to fully share the build, step by step, with everyone here. The amount of resources and knowledge embedded on this site is amazing and hope to contribute to it along the way.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 3692555929?profile=originalI said I'd post pictures as stuff starts rolling in but got a little sidetracked building the Hexa. Here's some pics of some of the parts that have arrived for the Mugin as well as the Hexa and its components. Still waiting for Canada Customs to clear the Mugin for Delivery and waiting on a replacement receiver for the Spektrum which quit unexpectedly and without any cause that I could find in the middle of programming the ESC's for the Hexa. 

3692556130?profile=original

3692556209?profile=original3692556234?profile=original3692556262?profile=original3692556249?profile=original

• Hi Cal,

Once all the parts on order arrive I'll post some pictures. I was dealing back & forth with Sullivan but like you said the costs are outrageous! I ended up finding an ordering a "dual Jewel" charging system from a guy named Raja. Super guy to talk with, very helpful and a very simple system: http://mysite.verizon.net/vze49gsg/index.html it's originally built for Helicopter but easily modified for my needs and the price ($275) is definitely worth it. If you google it you'll find various helicopter forums with users giving it rave reviews.
    I plan on posting each step of the build on the site with pictures so anyone can duplicate my successes and avoid my mistakes :)
    I'm fortunate as my wife also enjoys this and, as we are building this for commercial work, she supports the spending to ensure all the requirements are met with the build. She even ordered a Hexa on Friday for herself to look after the smaller jobs and to use to promote the business!
    Within the next few weeks there should be a flood of pictures here as everything arrives so do keep checking in and don't hesitate to make suggestions! I know enough to get myself in trouble but smart enough to ask for assistance instead of risking safety.

Thanks!

Jake
  • hows it going jake, i believe we are in the same boat but i have been looking at some stuff which might help you out. sullivan's generator i got a quote back in the upwards of $4000 where a simple electric motor turned into a generator will be easier and cheaper. parachute i have been debating a lot and the chance of a issue free deployment would be hard to achieve, if you were to go down that road i would think a d bag deployment would be the best choice but do you really want to do trial and error with a 3 grand system.

i wish you all the best and i will be following it closely just my bank funds cannot stretch that fair right now. ( without the miss knowing)  

• Also... looking for a good suggestion for monitoring on board fuel level. Ive done a ton of searching but haven't found anything as of yet. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

This reply was deleted.

Activity