Hello Everybody,

I'm struggling with a problem that start to drive me crazy beside preventing me from attempting my first flight with my Flame Wheel 450.

When I try to take-off, the Quad start drifting straight away to the right. And (I don't know if it's relevant) I need to apply quite a lot of throttle (almost 50%) before getting the Quad moving.

After searching on the wiki and in the forum, I assumed I didn't went through the accelerometer calibration process properly, so I re-did it, checking, with a spirit level, that the Quad was leveled.

-Checked the Wiring from Rx and to ESCs

-I have re-done the radio calibration as well.

-Checked if the engines were set in the proper direction 

-Checked and re-checked that the right prop was at the right place

All of this according to the wiki recommandations.

No much success.

If I hold the quad and apply power, when I move it around, I can feel the engines are working to bring it back leveled. or if I move the stick for roll or pitch, I can feel the quad trying to react as asked.

I have noticed two things though:

First: when I plug the battery to power up the Quad, only one of the ESC is playing some music, the strange thing though: when I arm the system and start to apply throttle, all the engines are working (well not quite as you'll see now..)

Second: When I start to apply some throttle, the motors are not starting at the same time. It's when I reach about 25% throttle I get all of them spinning. Sometimes when keeping the throttle at the minimum (ie with engine spinning) randomly one of the engine might stop, it will restart as soon as I increase the throttle.

My set up:

Flame Wheel Frame

Stock engines (DJI 920Kv) and ESCs (Opto 30A)

BEC: Castle Creation

APM1 running ArduCopter 2.9.1

I'm quite lost now, and I don't know in which direction to look for a solution.

If one of you can help that would be greatly appreciated...

One last thing (I have the feeling it might be the cause of my problem, but not sure): 

Out of curiosity, this afternoon, I checked the output of the BEC, and I found out it was at 6V, instead of the 5.1V as it is supposed to be from factory setting. 

Can it be the reason why I'm having those issues?

Thanks in advance for your time and help

With Kind Regards

Alain

Edit: change title as was not relevant/accurate with my problem

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hello,

I think I've solved the problem  (finger crossed). I reprogrammed the Castle Creation BEC to factory setting (5.1V) and now things seems to be working as they should...

Going for some more testing now

Regards

Alain

• I have the F450 frame and DJI motors too and i occasionally get a drift to one side or the other when am taking off. Sometimes it takes off perfectly but other times i have to give it little stick input to stop the drifting. I just assumed this was the propeller wash turbulence blowing the craft to one side of the other since the STABILIZE mode is just to stabilize your craft leveled and not to hold it in one position per-se. If you craft functions fine after lift-off them i wont bother much about this.

This reply was deleted.

Activity