I have decided it's time to move up to a large UAV airframe.

I still have the giant payload master in the build, but it is taking forever as if i'm not working offshore, i'm busy test flying ardu-equipped foamies.

I'm going to keep flying the small stuff for now as they are great for ironing out bugs... but they simply can't carry the telemetry gear and cameras that I want to test.

Anyway....I have now purchased a Mugin airframe from FPVflying and it is due here shortly.

Just wondering if there is anyone on here who has one one of these?

I'm looking for information regarding any structural deficiencies and anything else i might need to watch out for.

I'm confident in my ability to assess it's "airworthiness" but obviously it's good to hear from people who've had prior experience with a particular airframe.. eg. areas prone to cracking and parts that wear out quicker than expected.

Cheers

John.

Views: 8988

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Depends how you do it:

Near the CG, there is space for about 6L if you were using 1 or 2 tanks. However, I think if you were using a custom tank, or multiple smaller tanks, you could probably get at least 8 litres in there.

You could also put more fuel further forward of the fuel tank area and it should still be fairly stable even after burning fuel, but by that stage you'll be near it's MTOW.

You could also use external fuel tanks, but obviously that adds drag and will require more modifications.

As for speed, it depends on your engine, and we haven't done any testing to map the throttle setting vs fuel consumption, but we can cruise at a very low throttle setting at about 100km/h, or max out at around 180km/h.

There is also now a 4450mm 'super' version of the Mugin if you're concerned about range and MTOW, but otherwise there aren't many commercial alternatives to the Mugin, especially when it comes to price.

Thanks for the quick response Joshua.
I see different figures on different sites, it's pretty confusing.
What do you figure the useful load to be?
I've seen it written that that "Flying Weight" is 25kg, that must be the MTOW.
I see the "Load Weight" as 8kg, not sure if that includes the 5kg that 6.5L of has should weigh.
So my question is, after filling the tank, can I add another 8kg or 3kg?
I'm definately considering the big 4450, but it's a real beast to transport and costs 2x. Plus, no one online has built/flown one and I don't want to be the first.

My reply got mangled for some reason, but here's a v2 of it:

My understanding is:

MTOW (25kg) is comprised of:

Load weight (payload) = 8kg

Fuel = 5kg

Airframe = 10kg

Engine = 2kg

(All approximated of course)

I base this on the fact that my team's Mugin weighs something like 17kg with GF55ii engine, modifications to the airframe, avionics and 3L of fuel.

Some things to note though:

1. You will need to replace the landing gears with metal ones, and pretty much immediately; the fibreglass ones that come with it will not survive many flights; the nose gear will shatter and collapse first and the main landing gear has a tendency to pivot forward and backwards due to it's short base. Our mains haven't broken yet, but they have pivoted and damaged the fuselage. If they had failed a bit more we would have had our prop strike the ground too which would have been nasty. If you have your SLR camera on a gimbal underneath, or just protruding downward, you may end up with a broken camera too.

2. (This is a more a note) Our Mugin did not come with the 6.5L fuel tank (it's a new inclusion), so I don't know how it fits, etc.

3. You'll need probably 75m for take-off and ~150m for landing; our Mugin at ~17kg does take-offs in 60m and landings in 100m (with a ~60km/h ground speed and a very good pilot). It's not too bad, but if you're limited in space, consider making some sort of wheel or air brake system for it.

4. Be wary of operating from grass strips. With metal landing gears it might be alright, but even then, I'd probably want larger wheels and would want to be landing on sports field rather than the random fields.

Does anyone have a good "working" config file for the 3m Mugin?

Hi Bruce how is your mugin coming along?

Slowly,

We have done the first autotune but are now victims of the weather. There is a thunderstorm outside even as I type. Plus, as they say, Winter is Coming.

Overall though, it flies nice and very nice in stabilize. We are going to replace the "traditional" balsa and fish-snot glue wings with something better and more robust (foam and carbon). We will also replace the landing gear (see post above). We may end up just jacking up the Pixhawk and changing almost everything else.

We hope to finish the tuning soon or it will not be until next year. BTW we also maidened the Mugin 4.5 - and that is a beast.

Thanks for asking - KBO!

May i ask if your Mugin has flaps i'm almost finished setting up mine and would like to know what the approach and cruise airspeed values your getting.

Also what engine are you using?

Ok,

The 3m does not have flap, approach speed is around 20m/s (metric), cruise is 25m/s, landing speed is around 17-18m/s and stall is 16m/s.

We run a DLE60 with a 22*10 prop which we find to work better than the 23*9 supplied.

BTW our is an H-tail.

KBO!

Well I'm running the same engine but my Mugin has flaps. Also what kind of flight time you anticipate. do you have any build photos to share?

Its nice to talk to a fellow owner of this aircraft i think it is a very good platform. Do you have any video of your maiden flight and did you power your servos directly from pixhawk?

Could you provide a link to a 3m with flaps?

I don't have a link but i think its the new version 3 but i took a pic for you to see.

Attachments:
Interesting, split flaps. Mostly added drag, not sure if you will see a significant stall speed reduction. Here is a review of version III from 2013, and there are no flaps. Where did you buy yours?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Season Two of the Trust Time Trial (T3) Contest 
A list of all T3 contests is here. The current round, the Vertical Horizontal one, is here

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service