Musings of a Newbie

I am very new to the world of UAV/quad copters and plunged into this world back in September. I had no previous RC experience so the learning curve was huge as there was so much to learn. Initially the DIY UAV world looked so scarily complex that I did not know where to start. But after breaking it down and finding good sources of information the UAV hobby has opened up to me. I thought I would post a few words here of my experiences that may help other newbies along the way.

The APM Copter site became my bible and source of information for getting started. Before I had any hardware I read, re-read, re-re-read lots of the sections within this site.

http://copter.ardupilot.com/

I wanted to not just fly a UAV but have the fun of a build as well, so I went for a 3DR DIY Quad kit with electronics, this came with an APM 2.6 flight controller and I purchased the optional ublox GPS module.

Not having done any RC before I had to work out what other parts other than the 3DR DIY kit I needed to complete a basic UAV setup. What else I needed were the following:

A transmitter - 6 or more Channels
A receiver
LiPo Battery - 11.1v > 2200mah
LiPo Battery charger

Purchasing a transmitter was one of my first hurdles, I came across terminology that I knew nothing about, Mode 1 versus a Mode 2 transmitter. Though I could read the words on what a Mode1/Mode 2 transmitter means, I did not know what in practice I should buy. I ended up buying a Spektrum DX8 in Mode 1 mode.  Buying a mode 1 transmitter was my first mistake. Nearly all of the information on APM copter has been written for a Mode 2 transmitter, this goes for things like arming your copter, though you can do it with a Mode 1 (once you realize what is going on) - however most instructions are for doing things with a Mode 2. So I have learnt a lot about my transmitter as I had to pull mine apart and convert it to a Mode 2 transmitter :)

Square peg in a round hole. Learn about common RC connector types. When I was ordering the quad from 3DR - the site had options to purchase power modules with XT60 connectors and deans connectors. Not knowing what each was and what it meant I went with the defaults and got the XT60 connector on the power module and before it arrived went and bought a LiPo battery with a Deans connector. So when I got to the point of powering up my Quad for the first time, I could not. I had to order a deans to xt60 plug off ebay, so had to wait another week before I could fly my new copter. I now have a collection of xt60 to deans, traxxas to deans connectors - handy to have options.

Here is a link that explains the common RC connectors:

https://sites.google.com/site/tjinguytech/reviews/rc-connectors

The build. By following all the sections in First Time Setup area on the ardupilot site, the copter came together relatively easily.

http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/initial-setup/

Learning to Fly.

Secure your battery. I cable tie my battery's to the quad as they kept slipping out of the velcro strap.

Understand your transmitter controls, make logical flight mode switch setups and set your Geo Fence. My first attempt at flying in the park could have ended in disaster - the copter took off and I did not have the RC skills to fly it back. As myself and my too young sons watched the quad leave the park and start flying off into suburbia a sense of dread descended on us. Just before panic fully kicked in the quad bounced off the geo-fence and returned to launch. A collective sigh of relief was issue by all three of us. After that experience I made sure I could quickly flick switches to loiter and or RTL, so that if I started losing control I can bring the copter home.

On my channel 5 of the Spektrum transmitter I have mixed two switches to give me six flight mode options, this allows me to quickly flick a switch to RTL from stablise etc. There a good instructions here for different transmitters on how to setup six modes...

http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-six-modes/

Auto mission - After planning my first autonomous mission with a takeoff and three way points I was excited to see the UAV fly the course - I flicked the auto switch and the copter remained stationary on the ground. A bit of googling and Youtube watching I found out that you have to give the copter a bit of throttle to initiate the auto mission.

Crashes and breakages do happen.

The first thing I broke on my copter was the landing gear, the fibreglass legs that came with the 3DR kit were not up to the demands of a novice pilot. I have now made some legs out of poly pipe, they look a bit ugly but do the job.

Buy extra props. I have had some heavy crashes where I have smashed props. I have started to buy props in bulk now off ebay so that I don't fall short when I want to use the copter.

I bought these carbon re-enforced props off Ebay which for 4 props was $25 - they were very sturdy and worked well until I had a crash from about 8 metres smashing them all :)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281178911589?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I have just received these props which were 8 props for $25 - I am yet to use them but they feel a bit flimsy,  I figure while I am still learning how to control the copter they will be sufficient.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/190933149632?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Other things that have come in handy:

- Battery extension leads. The way my copter was setup with where the input connector for the power module was located to where the battery was, it was a bit of a tight join, so I purchased a female Deans to male Deans extender cable:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281178291345?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

- One pin to one Pin jumper leads for connecting up extra RC channels. The 3DR kit came with a 5 pin receiver cable - to be able connect up the other three channels I have bought these:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/370856945502?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Most of all I have had a heap of fun along the way. Happy flying.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• good write dude.

mp

• Cool post! I love well though out posts like this because it is a fresh and generally clear perspective. Solid tips. The idea of XT60 extension cables actually solved a real problem for me.

• Wil, nice write-up about your experience. I added it to this list of DIYD blog posts that newbies can study. Cheers.

• Hope some of the info helps others

• It's nice to see the progression of a fairly typical newbie, which above all points to the lack of really basic fundamental info on this and similar sites. There will soon be a new web site by Gary M., who wrote much of the content of the WIKIs on this site, that will eventually include information down to the raw r/c beginner levels. 

Meanwhile, for the benefit of other newbies who may read this fellow's story, here are some comments from an experienced pilot:

A great deal of time, trouble, danger and cost could have been avoided by joining a model aircraft club, or at least beginning with "toy" class fixed-wing or rotary aircraft. There is still, at this point, a basic rule that should never be violated: A pilot MUST have the ability to fly the aircraft manually, at least well enough to get it onto the ground in one piece without running it into anything or anybody. Time after time we see the same thing here, people who assume that the various autonomous functions are foolproof and crash as a result. If you cannot fly manually, you will, sooner or later, lose your aircraft to a crash or flyaway. Guaranteed.

Mode Two transmitter (Tx) configuration (throttle on left stick, pitch/roll on right) is overwhelmingly standard in North America (as standard as left-side steering wheels in cars). Do not buy a Mode One Tx.

Beware of multiple adapters and extensions for battery connections, each one you add adds a point of possible failure. Your aircraft and batteries should have matching connectors. If you can't solder (you should learn to do that) find someone who can. Beware also of knockoff unbranded connectors, we've seen "Deans" connectors with plastic that melts like ice cream.

Beware of cheap props. If you learn to fly manually using a proper toy-class trainer you won't need piles of props for your main aircraft. Cheap props can and do break in flight, which of course completely defeats the purpose of using them.

Don't overbuild landing gear. If you land hard, something is going to have to give and maybe break. You want that to be the landing gear, not your airframe.

Have fun and fly safe!

• Yes - probably an update to this post would be that if I had known what I was dealing with I should have learnt basic flying skills before heading to the park.

Since this post was written last year, I have spent some time on a simulator and bought myself a Blade Nano QX which together has sorted out my flying skills. Not only has it made flying a lot safer when having good control it makes it way more fun.

• Developer
    A friend i fly with uses Mode 1 and i have learnt mode 2. It means we can't easily swap transmitters, which helps when you are learning. My advice would be to learn the mode that is most popular in your country, i.e NA is mode 2, eleswhere is mode 1 seems to be popular. i do see a small advanatge of learning to fly mode 4 as 3 channel trainer planes use rudder and elevator on the right stick. Adding ailerons to the left stick when you move to four channels. But in the end, just put in time on a simulator and you get the muscle memory for whatever mode you choose. Thats the key.

As for batteries, use velcro to attach and a strap to secure. Means they won't ever move in flight.
    Domain hosted by DanDomain - Domæner, hjemmeside, email, it-hosting, webshop
    Registrering af domæner og hosting af webhoteller. Opret gratis webshop. Skræddersyede it-hosting
  • Do you have any information on the mode 1/2 switch?

I bought the 3DR Y6 setup and a Taranis X9D, and in mission planner the throttle is my left stick. I would like to switch this as it doesnt seem natural.

I'm new to these more complex rx/tx setups

• Hi Jr, 

Sounds like with your throttle on the left stick you have a mode 2 transmitter. This is what I converted to with my DX8, the reason I did this was that most of the instructions you see for APM:Copter and Youtube seem to refer to using a mode 2 radio for the APM flight controllers. When I first setup my copter and my radio was in mode 1, instructions would say things like, to arm your copter shift the left stick down and too the right, when I tried this nothing happened, it took a moment to realize that what it actually meant was shift the throttle to the bottom and move the rudder to the right, so on a mode 1 radio this was right stick down and left stick to the right. Also things like the Drift flight mode seems to have been written for a mode 2 radio. So I just thought it would be easier to convert my radio to a mode 2 - I have not looked back everything works well in this configuration. My radio is a Spektum DX8 - in the instruction manual there was a section on how to convert between modes but it was poorly written and the diagrams were not clear - however  I found a really good Youtube video on how to convert a DX8 which made the process really clear as it involved pulling the radio apart and swapping some of the mechanical parts. I cant help you with a Taranis X9D but with a bit of Google searching you should be able to find out if it is possible.

Good Luck.

Just about every big system uses left stick for throttle you have better get used to it might well become the standard.

This reply was deleted.

Activity