Need info on the new APM 2.5

I see that the APM 2.5 has been released. but I am not finding alot of info on it. I used to have an APM 1.0 and it worked great. then I was helping a friend with his apm 2.0 and it had alot fo problems and would not work.  So my questions are how is the new apm 2.5 does it work good what are the issues with it if any. etc. I am considering getting the complete APM quad kit frame, esc's motors and all,  kit but I want to know it is going to work. thanks in advance for any info.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This is my first multicopter. I got the 3DR-B (the old one) plus the standard jDrones motors and ESCs, which are essentially the same as what you're talking about. Plus APM 2.5 with v2.7.3 Arducopter. 3300mAh LiPo. I have to say it works surprisingly well (to me!) out of the box with defaults, seems quite stable, and it's usually very windy around here. My copter has some extra electronics protection + the larger battery, so it's a bit heavier than "stock", about 1400g, but I doubt it'll ever get lighter, I see 1500g+ soon.

I'm using an old Hitec Eclipse 7 ch. radio with FrSky Tx module and their telemetry Rx...does all I need for basic use, there's even 6 modes, so you know anything newer ought to do as well/better. Make sure you have a *working* and proper independent failsafe at the Tx/Rx level; don't rely on the APM's built-in one except as backup.

Pay particular attention to levelling setup. It's critical and the APM seems fussy about it. You'll know it's not "right" if the copter doesn't take off perfectly level. I mean perfectly, no excuses! This is good for starting, then level in the air with built-in routine. Again: very important to ease of use.

You've done this before, so you'll know how to deal with the way info is here and you probably know what you need to know, kind of a large learning curve otherwise.

So yes, it all does work together.

• Yea I always cover the baro on my quads. but which version of the firmware are you running. and what radio .  I just don't want to waste 4-500.00 and get nothing but issues. I know it is a toss of the coin. but I hope more post so I can see in the masses what people thing of the newer version.  thanks for your input

• Hi there!

I've bought a Hexa kit about a month ago with the new apm2.5.

No problems .......flights are smooth with nothing unexpected. So far have set up alt hold, gps hold, and now RTL.

If you get it, make sure the baro pressure sensor is covered with something light as to not actually seal up the sensor holes. 

Tissue paper or sponge material will work to reduce the wind effect on the pressure readings. The boards now may even have it covered already...think I read it somewhere on the site. 

Cheers, Steve 

This reply was deleted.

Activity