negative altitude landing

Hi there!!!

I would like to know if its possible to take of from the top of a montain and program an auto landing on the bottom where the altitude is lower than the take of point.

Thanks

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hello,

This looks like a job for terrain following...

http://plane.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-terrain-following/

• Just one more thing, I read that it is valid if you have an equipment with a SD card like the pixhawk, the one I have is the APM 2.6, so, how can I use that function?
      • I think you are correct in that you cannot use terrain following on the 2.6.  I think it is worth the upgrade to the Pixhawk to experience the full capabilities of Arduplane.  I think they have been watering down Arduplane for APM for a few iterations now. 

• Even though I think it would be better for the system to be guided by real altitude data from GPS just like real full scale aviatoon where you have the exact altitude of each flight field on jeppersen charts and make your flight plans according to it.
          But well... I think I'll have to start some savings to buy a PX4 module.

Thank you

Cheers
    • Hi Joseph, thank you for this link...
      BUT, wouldn't be easier to read the true GPS altitude info And determine the AP altitudes according to the sea level? Well, for the systems equiped with GPS, obviously...

I asked this because I am planning to do a similar mission / adventure like the on of the "MyGeekShow" tried to preform, like crossing the US with an UAV, but, well, in a much smaller scale here in Portugal.
      Many people might not know but Portugal has not a leveled ground at all, it has huge differences of altitude in short distances so, having said this, you might understand that I must be able to take of at 230m (almost 1000ft) high from sea level and land at 1200m ( almost 4000ft) high about 100kms away from the departure point, and vice versa... The country distance that I want to cover in several legs is about 500 miles and on these 500 miles I will face different hights up and down.
      I was concerned because in one of the "MyGeekShow" he faced that problem when he toke of from an high place and later he was not able to program the auto landing because the landing spot was lower than the departure.

Thank you

Regards
      • I don't discount using ASL, but I would think terrain following would end up being easier.  Then, you do not have to even think about it.  It is as if you are flying on a flat land.  Though it has its own limitations such as unavailable terrain data. 

This reply was deleted.

Activity