I'm a software engineer and an intermediate RC helicopter pilot (so-far focussing on 450-class helicopters).

I'm interested in getting into both UAV and FPV flight, and somehow combining the two.  I have a few questions:

This forum (for traditional helis) seems *very* quiet (only one other discussion visible), am I likely to have trouble getting advice and help with this project?

I note that only the TRex 450 is mentioned as being tested, yet I feel like I should go for a larger platform to accomodate both the ArduCopter and related electronics, and the FPV stuff and related electronics.  Am I likely to have a much more difficult time getting this to work on a 600-class helicopter versus a 450-class?

What work has been done on combining ArduCopter with live video transmitted from the heli?  I've seen some people effectively treat both systems as separate, with a separate on-screen display (OSD) unit, even with separate GPS and related systems.  This seems a bit wasteful.  How closely can the systems be integrated?

One thing I'd like to try is some kind of automatic crash avoidance.  Obviously I know that ultimately you can always override the ArduCopter in hardware, but offering a mode where it can take-over if something bad is about to happen might be interesting.  Has anyone done any work on this?

In general, how easy or hard is it to hack the firmware to add functionality, such as the crash avoidance I mention above?

Thanks.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• As martin has said, check the link.

FYI i have ACM running on a 600 

I think edgars is going that way too.

• Distributor

Hello Ian,

There are a few core people working on the Heli's, the Heli's are not as big as the Quad/Hexa/Octo copters, however all the information you could need to read should be able to be found in these pages.

There has been a lot of time and effort put in by all the people in that thread, if you can think of a question which has not been asked, pease feel free to add to the topic, and if you have some thoughts on additional help we have missed..... please feel free to add it on in there!

Regards

Martin

www.buildyourowndrone.co.uk

This reply was deleted.

Activity