MR60

Thought the problem was a potentially faulty APM 2.6 so unwrapped my PixHawk.  Same problem.

In MP, it connects and downloads the firmware.  Pixhawk then gives the successful happy song.  Select connect via Mavlink:

- starts 30 second countdown

- red connect changes to green disconnect

- timer goes to 0

- continues trying or doing something for another 1 1/2  minutes while countdown stays at 0

- then get No Heatbeat error.

In Windows 8, Device Manager, Com 5 is set to 115200, 8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, no flow control, FIFO buffers.

In MP, Com 5 PX4 FMU v1.6 (COM5) is selected.

Tried:

- restarting the computer

- connecting via a different computer (windows 7 and an older version of MP)

- four different USB cables plugging into different USB connections (getting desperate)

- different com settings

I'm beginning to think i'm in a no heatbeat black hole.  will see if i can setup the radio (but can i do that without mp?)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Admin

@Chris,

I agree with you. There should be no need to go into the Device Manager and manipulate the COM port settings. I have never had to do so to get a good MavLink connection with my Pixhawks.

Regards,

TCIII ArduRover2 Developer

• got it, thanks for the claity on that.

• MR60

Using the latest version of MP (however this doesn't seem to matter as an older version has the same problem).

Using the latest version of Windows 8 (however this doesn't seem to matter as also tried Windows 7 on another computer).

• If you find the problem/solution please post. I have yet to replace my APM 2.5 because I don't want to have same thing with pix hawk.
      • MR60

So what is really strange is (discovered while working with 3DR techs) Maxlink words just fine if i uploaded the ArduPilot firmware but not if i uploaded ArduCopter firmware.

That tells me there is a software issue in the firmware.  So i'm not optimistic that the replacement they will send me will work either.  but who know.  i'm hoping beyond reason.

I'll be sailing in the Bay of Biscay for a month, but will try to remember to update when i'm back and test the new one.

• happy sailing, I'll be busy for a month so I'll have to remember to look for update.

• Did either of you ever figure this out? I am having the same problem and I could desperately use the help!

• MR60

Yes.  It was a bad mag in the GPS/Magnometer.

When I got the replacement Pixhawk, had the same problem (only had them replace the main computer and not the periferals).  But this time ...

Posted the solution earlier, but maybe it didn't take.

disconnecting all of the periferals and then connected and tested the Mavlink connection.  Plugged in the mag and it would no longer connect.  Has a spare from APM 2.5 and plugged it in.  Worked fine.  Just got my replacement GPS/Mag today.

• MR60

turns out it wasn't a bad GPS/Mag.  keep reading the posts because it happened again to the next Pixhawk I bought.

• Thanks for the response! Turns out I had a 5 wire instead of a 6 wire cable hooked up to my gps. That fixed the problem before I got around to trying out a new unit. 

This reply was deleted.

Activity