No power from ESC to Motor: Help?

Greetings all! I have ecstatically finished my First Quad build from scratch.  I have used the following parts:

RealFPV frame

PixHawk FC (with GPS)

MS 30 amp ESC (SimonK Rapid ESC)

Taranis Transmitter with X8R receiver 

SunnySky X2216 brushless motors KV1100 

After finally putting the last touches on the assembly and connecting the battery I've run into a problem.  The ESCs are not giving any power to the motors.  Ive tested the ESC's 3 output wires to the motors with a voltmeter and got no readings.  The FC however gets power, as well as the receiver.  I am able to bind my Transmitter to the Receiver and arm the quad.  The receiver and FC are registering the throttle move movements as well but still nothing from the ESC to the motors.  

I have tried to calibrate the ESCs but I do not think i was Successful.  Would the lack of calibration cause the ESC not have any power outputs to the motors? If not, what other Problems could be causing these symptoms? 

Thank you to all who read! 

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• AHH!!! I Have fixed my issues!! 

Before I explain my stupid and simple problem, I want to give all of you permission to openly make fun of my stupidity lol

I had my ESC servo wires plugged into slots 1,2,3,4, of the Pixhawk but on the AUX output instead of the main output.  I Switched up the pins and Boom the motors spin perfectly! 

Thanks for everyones feed back! 

• No need to make fun of such issues ... You learned something in the process ... and that is whats important. 

All the best with the rest of the build / config 

• Sounds like a Min throttle issue, if its beeping every 5 sec or so,
    I'm quite sure its to do with the throttle not being at its lowest point? or throttle calibration not complete correctly 
    possibly do throttle calibration 1 at a time, 

• What is Interesting to me is that, 

once I plug the FC into the Computer and look at it on APM all the throttle information is being received.  Then under "Initial set up" and then further under "Failsafe" I am able to see the inputs and outputs to each motor.  Both the inputs and outputs are registering the throttle information, but still no movement out of the motors. 

I still have yet to hear any kind of beeping out of the ESCs either.  Even when in ECS calibration mode. 

• Another thing to try is lower the throttle trim.
  • you don't have the esc (servo) wires round the wrong way?

• black to the outside,
    • red in the middle
    • white closest to the inside of the board?

how are you connecting everything? power distribution board?

connections ok to that? (red -> red), (black -> black)

sounds silly, but you never know... :)

The throttle ch on most if not all receivers is #3

plug 1 at a time into ch3 on the rx, power up and you should be able to control the motor speed, 

• Hi Marty 

The throttle ch on most if not all receivers is #3 <== Sorry but I don't agree 

Futaba is normally #3

Spectrum is normally #2

JR is normally #1

It all depends on the make.

OP needs to check his RX manual. It does not apply to just the throttle but to all other channels as well.

One cannot just assume the pins on the RX are the same as the pins on the FC or that all RX unit have their throttle in the same position. 

• ahh, never had the pleasure of using anything else other than flysky, devo, products,
        I just assumed they were all the same, :)

• No worries ...  Just though I'd mention it .. 

I do agree with the rest of what you are saying though ... the servo lead direction is one thing I forgot about :)

And I think perhaps Gordon should perhaps post a part list of what he is trying to connect. 

At the moment we are all taking stabs in the dark at his problem. 

:D

• Hey Guys, 

sorry for the late reply, I came down with a pretty serious sickness the past few days.  Feeling a little better today though. 

So I connected the ESC lead into the rx into channel one.  Upon doing this I then connected the battery and armed the transmitter.  At this point the ESC that i have plugged into the rx will beep once every 4 or 5 seconds and if I increase throttle I get no response.  

I am connecting everything using a power Distro board.  I assumed that because the FC and Receiver get power that they must be wired properly.  

@Marty: Im not quite sure which wire you are referring to here:

"you don't have the esc (servo) wires round the wrong way?

• black to the outside,
            • red in the middle
            • white closest to the inside of the board?" 

are you referring to the wires connecting the ESC to the Motors themselves? 

Also in my initial post there is a description of what parts i am using but i am using:

PixHawk FC (with GPS)

MS 30 amp ESC (SimonK Rapid ESC)

Taranis Transmitter with X8R receiver 

SunnySky X2216 brushless motors KV1100 

Thanks for yall's feed back. All very helpful and much appreciated 

This reply was deleted.

Activity