No power from ESC to Motor: Help?

Greetings all! I have ecstatically finished my First Quad build from scratch.  I have used the following parts:

RealFPV frame

PixHawk FC (with GPS)

MS 30 amp ESC (SimonK Rapid ESC)

Taranis Transmitter with X8R receiver 

SunnySky X2216 brushless motors KV1100 

After finally putting the last touches on the assembly and connecting the battery I've run into a problem.  The ESCs are not giving any power to the motors.  Ive tested the ESC's 3 output wires to the motors with a voltmeter and got no readings.  The FC however gets power, as well as the receiver.  I am able to bind my Transmitter to the Receiver and arm the quad.  The receiver and FC are registering the throttle move movements as well but still nothing from the ESC to the motors.  

I have tried to calibrate the ESCs but I do not think i was Successful.  Would the lack of calibration cause the ESC not have any power outputs to the motors? If not, what other Problems could be causing these symptoms? 

Thank you to all who read! 

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 1. Connect the ESC lead of one ESC (the servo wire) into the RX throttle channel

2. Make sure the two ESC power leads connected to the Power distribution board is connected to the battery correctly (black on black - red on red) 

3. Power on your TX

4. Lift the throttle on the THX to Max

5. Plug in the LIPO

6. The ESC connected to the RX with the servo lead should now beeb.

7. After the beeps lower the throttle.

8. The ESC should beep differently

9. Unplug the power

10. Do the same with the other ESCs

If you don't get a beep with the ESC plugged into the Lipo on one end, the three motors leads connected to a motor and the servor lead connected to the throttle channel on the RX, then I suspect you have a dead ESC or you might be running a wrong Lipo Pack

The ESCs are rated for 2-4 cell Lipos, what are you using?

Kind regards

• Johann,

I have plugged each ESC Servo Wire into the Rx Throttle channel and have followed your directions.  At step 6, the ESC that is plugged into the rx does beep.  It beeps about 1 every 5 seconds.  After decreasing the throttle though, the beeping does not change, it is still 1 every 5 seconds.

And still no motor movement. 

Im using a 4 cell 3300mah battery.  

• For some reason I cannot reply to your answer so I'm doing the answer here. 

Have you bound the RX to the TX?

• Yes it is bound, I can see all Tx movements in APM as well. 

• Once you placed throttle down, push it up slightly.Does the motor start spinning ?

• no, nothing.  

the beeping stays the same, once every 5 seconds and no motor movement at all. 

• Marty is referring to the servo lead that plugs into the FC.

• <I have tried to calibrate the ESCs but I do not think i was Successful.> <== What makes you say this. If the ESCs are not calibrated, then the motors will not spin up at all. 

Wave you tested an ESC and a motor by connecting them directly to the throttle channel on the radio?

• Johann, 

Thanks for the reply! 

I say that I don't think the ESC calibration was successful because the ESC's did not make the tones that I read they should.  I followed the instructions from this link ( http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/initial-setup/esc-motor/ ) and from step 6 and on my ESC did not respond as explained they should.  

When ou say connect them directly to the throttle channel on the radio, are you referring to the Receiver? I do not think I have done this but will try right now.  

Again, thanks for the reply, I really appreciate the help. 

• What I mean is unplug the servo lead of one of the ESCs from the Flight controller, then plug it into the throttle channel on the Receiver. 

If you put throttle high and power it on it will enter calibration mode. Once you hear the beeps, lower the throttle and it should beep again. if you lift the throttle slowly the motor should start to spin. 

Do this without props to be safe

Also I forgot to mention, ESC do not beep if there is not a motor plugged into it . 

This reply was deleted.

Activity