otterbox as the core of a quadcopter

Hey Guys,

Have done a search and haven't come up with much besides the boxquad but was wondering if this idea would work or be a catastrophic failure. 

first off I'm very new to flying quadcopters but my ultimate goal is to use the ardupilot's 'follow me' function and an arduino beacon in attempts to film a wakeboarder.

Looking around at the various waterproof frames and techniques I thought about creating my own version since i'm on a budget of sorts)  

I was wondering if using a small otterbox weighing in at 150g as the quadcopter's center structure.

http://www.adafruit.com/products/340

Then from there i would attach the booms in a + configuration.  I would think that making a plate to sandwich the top and bottom boom for rigidity then mounting the boom assembly to the otterbox where the fc will be safety mounted.  From there i'd have to run esc wires from the box and seal them with some silicone or epoxy, use corrosion-x on the boom mounted esc's (prop wash cooling method) and mount the battery below the box. 

Does this idea sound feasible or does it sound like a failure waiting to happen?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• the otter box works ,,, I fly  my quads with a box they sell at jay car .... very good set up ,,, 

I use ormonoid  paint to seal up esc s      and any wiring    

for floatation i use 10 inch bike tubes 

This reply was deleted.

Activity