Photo-mapping with UAV and GOPRO 2

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the UAV scene and have some questions about photo-mapping.  I'm looking to use a GOPRO on a fixed wing UAV to do a research project.  I want to take pictures, Geo-tag them, and overlay them into a map (2D or 3D).  What is the best way to do this?  What software and hardware would I need?  Is there a way to have live feed to my PC from my GOPRO?  My initial thought was to set GOPRO to time stamp each photo (take photos at a rate relative to speed), while I used Mission planner software to track coordinates of UAV.  Once back on the ground I would use time stamped pics to overlay using GPS way-points on mission planner, but I'm not sure if there will be a huge offset, between time and place.  I'm just looking for the easiest option, and I want to get the tools I need without spending a fortune.  I'm learning on the fly (yes, pun intended) and would really appreciate any advice. 

Thank you,

Josh

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Branick,
      I have a crude beginner model with a mini camera and no current GPS, but I need to step up my UAS for my undergrad research. I like all the bells and whistle of the 3D R aero and hope to have something with 3D telemetry and autopilot. I think we can use GOPRO time stamp and combine photos with corresponding waypoints ( in relation to time), but not really too sure what I need to make it happen.
    • I'm looking to use APM with GPS and 3d telemetry (from 3D robotics) so I can track and record flight coordinates with mission planner or APM planner.  If there is a way to sync this setup with the go pro that would be great, but I was likely going just use time stamp retrieved from photos and match it with waypoints in mission planner.  My ultimate goal it to have a Geotag reference  for each photo so I can combine the pictures to create a map of a survey area, and maybe overlay that onto another map after it is orthorectified.  I have never done anything like this before, so I'm looking for the best way to accomplish my end result.  I'm trying to use some of what I have (GOPRO), but want to purchase most of the other tools needed.  Any insight would be great.

• Hey Josh! I am trying to figure out how to do the exact same thing.  I want to be able to create 3D maps of some local golf courses.  I have a GoPro but I have no idea how to get the proper GPS coordinates with it.  Do you have a drone already?

This reply was deleted.

Activity