Pixhawk+APM power module+Attopilot Wiring ??

Hi!

I just ordered a Pixhawk to put on my s800 hexacopter.

As I need 12v for video TX and gimbal controller card i have a 3s lipo onboard, the ESC/motors run on 6s.

I just want to make shure my thinking is right.

I want to power the pixhawk from the std. APM Power module from the 3s and monitor the U and I on the 6s Battery (because it is the one that will become empty first...)

Is my drawing correct???

Is this a safe way to power the Pixhawk or...Should i power it some other way ? 

3691102554?profile=original

Best regards Ronny Grimm

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Newbie to the Pixhawk. I have followed your setup here as I plan to fly with 6S. I get a low voltage alarm after connecting everything up. Powering FC from 3S and motors/ESC from 6S. I know there are several settings in MP for voltage. Can you point me in the right direction?
  • Hi

I will answer ny own question after having tested this out...

This works just fine!!

I also power the output rail from a 5V bec for redundancy.

• Developer
      I think you would be better off connecting the ground via the the PM. The wires on the DF13 connector are rated at 500mA. They are paired to give 1A. By re-routing the gnd to the attopilot sensor, you bring the cable capacity closer to the operating current. By taking a fly lead from GND from the PM to the attopilot, you will restore the 1A capacity.

It may work ok, but i'm trying to highlight the impact of your changes.

Hope that helps:)
      • Ok thanks!

• Ok like this then..  :D

3702750744?profile=original

• Hi Ronnie

I just saw your post and that is exactly what I had in mind for a huge coaxial octo I built, but I was too scared to connect the different circuits in one DF13 plug.

Has this configuration being working reliably so far on your S800?

I do have two power boards, one for the 6s batteries (ESC and MOTORS) and one for the 3s battery which have a common ground. Is your 5v UBEC coming from the 3s battery too?

Did you put a zener diode onto the output rail of the pixhawk?

Thanks a lot for sharing!

Best

F

• Did you get your S800 running with the Pixhawk. My S800 flips backward on takeoff. Any advice or instructions would be appreciated.

• Yes it flies like a dream with the pixhawk. Flies well on default settings but I tuned a little higher  Stabilize P (5,5000) instead of default 4,500 on roll and pitch. 

"Flips backwards..." must be some serious fault on your setup.!!

Double check that you have connected the motors as this on your S800 

Due to different motor numbering on DJI and APM you have to connect the motors as below...

APM/PIXHAWK OUTPUT # 5 to f800 # 1
              APM/PIXHAWK OUTPUT # 3 to f800 # 2
              APM/PIXHAWK OUTPUT # 2 to f800 # 3
              APM/PIXHAWK OUTPUT # 6 to f800 # 4
              APM/PIXHAWK OUTPUT # 4 to f800 # 5
              APM/PIXHAWK OUTPUT # 1 to f800 # 6

This is with default Pixhawk settings...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMwMEcYTmYA

• I'm taking another shot at this morning. As far as your frame type goes do you have it set to "X" style?

• Yes "X" And one more thing...

Check your radio so pitch channel is not reversed...

This reply was deleted.

Activity