Pixhawk with a FrSky receiver

Hi

I have a JR X3810 (PCM) transmitter and have recently attached the new FrSky JR transmitter module. The FrSky's documentation is not very clear regarding the channels, they are just numbered 1 to 8 on the receiver and I presume one has to manually test each channel for mapping it to servos etc.

Now in the case of the Pixhawk, PPM is required (Single cable). So how will I get this connected? Do i need some kind of converter to get PPM. Or will I have to make do with APM 2.6?

Any ideas/recommendations.

Thanks

Anton

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Anton. I just went down a similar path of puzzlement and inquiry.  This may have the information you need. Cheers!  (I now have a V8FR-II which will probably never be used). I now use a FrSky Delta 8, which does not require an encoder module.

• Hi there. I am just about to start a Pixhawk build, and I use FrSky, so your post caught my attention. I see that you haven't received a response yet, so I signed up to help you out some. 

Not sure exactly what RX you are using, but I can tell you this. FrSky maps the channels to whatever your transmitter tells it.  For example, using the Taranis, I can (through the transmitter) assign any channel to any function.  That's why they are labeled with numbers. The assignments can vary from user to user and build to build. This is confusing to folks who come from systems where the channels are hard coded. For example, I came from Spektrum, where the channels were pre-assigned to a function (like JR) and you had to make sure everything was plugged in with whatever order they tell you (TAER).

I don't have a JR, but looking at the manual for your transmitter, here are the channel assignments:

TX                ::  Function

Channel # 1   ::  Thro 
    Channel # 2   ::  Aile 
    Channel # 3   ::  Elev 
    Channel # 4   ::  Rudd 
    Channel # 5   ::  Gear 
    Channel # 6   ::  Flap 
    Channel # 7   ::  SPOI 
    Channel # 8   ::  Aux 3 

So that is how your FrSky receiver will use them. It only does what the transmitter tells it to do. 

In order to help you with the Pixhawk connection, it will be helpful to know the actual receiver model number.  For example, if you have the D8R-II Plus, you won't have CPPM capability, but if you have the D8R-XP, you will.  Of course, it is possible to re-flash the D8R-II with XP firmware, but things get more complicated.  If you have the X8R, then you won't have CPPM, but you will have S-Bus. So, we'll need more information to be more precise.

Hope that helps.

• Hi

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Much appreciate it.  The FrSky receiver I

have is the V8FR-II. I am not sure if I can connect this one to the Pixhawk or whether

some sort of encoder is necessary.  I have also heard that there may be limitations on the

number of channels if an encoder is used. If that is the case then I would have to get another

transmitter and receiver. Any recommendations?

Regards

Anton

20140222_162853.jpg

This reply was deleted.

Activity